How to change input data before saving if a condition is true

Hi all,

I have a form with some personal data and allthough some initial values.

If at the end of the form the user decides to not accept the saving of his personal data, I would like to clear or to set these fields to a standard text before saving.
An action with โ€œData: set the values of some columns in this rowโ€ seems not to change data before saving, which means I can see the original value in the cell log.

Any idea?

Thanks and have a nice day, Joachim

0 11 401
11 REPLIES 11

Normally I would reccomend just creating an action that runs when the record is saved. The action would then set the columns to โ€œโ€ based on a condition.

But if it must be before the save, I presume to ensure that persona is not simply saved to the spreadsheet then cleared. Do something like this:

1. Have a Y/N column called [Permission] as the last row in the form
  2. Inital value of [Permission] is blank
  3. Set all the columns that need clearing to also have a blank initial value
  4. Give the columns to be cleared the following Reset On Edit formula
 AND(
[_THISROW_AFTER].[Permission] <> [_THISROW_BEFORE].[Permission],
[_THISROW_AFTER].[Permission]=FALSE
)

Simon@1minManager.com

Reset on edit? is only considered when the form is first entered; it is not reconsidered as the user interacts with the form.

Iโ€™m sure Iโ€™ve got this working somehow on an Appโ€ฆ

Thank you @1minManager,

but it is not working. The value is not cleared.

Make sure the columns to be cleared are not using App formulas. Other than that youโ€™ll have to send some screen shots if you need more help

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

The form data is never saved if the user doesnโ€™t click Save. Isnโ€™t this implicit permission?

I supose you could simply use a Valid_IF formula to stop them savingโ€ฆ

unfortunately not, it will prevent the form from saving if permission=N

Thanks @Steve , so โ€œreset on editโ€ is no option for my problem.

Do you have any idea how to clear some fields after the user hits โ€œsaveโ€ and before the data is stored in the table?

Not possible.

My understanding is that a user would click two buttons to submit a form, one to determine if they accept saving their personal data, and another to save the form itself. You could add another column to your table that is a Yes/No data type called โ€œConsentโ€. Then in all of the initial value expressions of the fields that would fill in personal data, just use an IF() function so that if the Consent value is false, leave it blank, but if the Consent value is true, autofill the personal data. You can put the Consent field buttons on the top or bottom of the form.

Would this idea meet the needs of your specific workflow?

Top Labels in this Space