How to get a value from another table (similar to dereference), when there is no reference to that table?

My challenge is that I use a โ€œselect-formulaโ€ (in Table1) to choose a name from another table (Table2).
I have to do it like this, since there is no reference to Table2. This works fine. I get a dropdown of names to choose from.
But in the next row (in Table1) i would like to automaticly pick the matching phonenumber to that name in Table2.
Sounds easy? Itโ€™s not! Iโ€™ve treid Dereference, Lookup, Any, Select, IF, REF to viritual columns, ++.

I can get a list of phone nubers from table2, but not automaticly picking the one matching the name.

Any suggestions anyone?

Solved Solved
0 5 3,655
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lookup() is most likely the solution you need, just a matter of getting the syntax correct.

Hereโ€™s a longer-version explanation of what each entry of the LOOKUP() formula needs:

Lookup(What_to_lookup, what_table_to_look_into, what_column_the_value_will_be_in, what_column_you_want)

To implement something like this, try something like this:

LOOKUP([_thisrow].[Selected_Name], Table2, Table2_Name_Column, Phone_Number)

Hereโ€™s a breakdown:

• [_thisrow].[Selected_Name] - the second part of this element needs to be switched to the name of the column thatโ€™s your dropdown (the one where users select a single name);
  • Table2 - this needs to be the name of the table that youโ€™re looking up in;
  • Table2_Name_Column - this needs to be the name of the column (in Table2) where the system will find the value from [_thisrow].[Selected_Name];
  • and finally, Phone_Number - this is the column (from Table2) that you want to pull data from.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Lookup() is most likely the solution you need, just a matter of getting the syntax correct.

Hereโ€™s a longer-version explanation of what each entry of the LOOKUP() formula needs:

Lookup(What_to_lookup, what_table_to_look_into, what_column_the_value_will_be_in, what_column_you_want)

To implement something like this, try something like this:

LOOKUP([_thisrow].[Selected_Name], Table2, Table2_Name_Column, Phone_Number)

Hereโ€™s a breakdown:

• [_thisrow].[Selected_Name] - the second part of this element needs to be switched to the name of the column thatโ€™s your dropdown (the one where users select a single name);
  • Table2 - this needs to be the name of the table that youโ€™re looking up in;
  • Table2_Name_Column - this needs to be the name of the column (in Table2) where the system will find the value from [_thisrow].[Selected_Name];
  • and finally, Phone_Number - this is the column (from Table2) that you want to pull data from.

Man, that worked!! And so easy too! Thanks a lot:)

Youโ€™re very welcome, and Welcome to the Community!

@khuslid
May be remind you that, provided there are multiple records in your table with the same name, LOOKUP will return only the 1st recordโ€™s matching value in the list. For a more accurate search, you can also use ANY(SELECT(...)) expression.

Thanks. Yes I know. But in this case thats what I needed.

Top Labels in this Space