How to sort related records

HCF

I am tying to sort related records to my Contacts table on a column from a referenced table, but as the editor canโ€™t find the column, I am stuck. I wanted to do something along these lines:
OrderBy(
select(Activities[Contacts],
in([_thisrow].[UniqueID], [Contacts])
),
[SortColumn]
)

Thanks for any help.

0 12 661
12 REPLIES 12

Hi HCF.
Instead of โ€œin([_thisrow].[UniqueID], [Contacts])โ€, you should try [_thisrow].[UniqueID] = [Contacts]

Hi and thanks, but this is not what I try to accomplish. The [Contacts] field can contain many contacts, thus the In() function.
What I need to do, is to sort the Activities on the [SortColumn], but since this column refer to a column in another table (Activities and not Contacts), the column is not available in the expression builder. Is there a way to make an expression to sort on that column?

Aha.
I asume type is REF then.
To sort a column from the REF table, simply
ORDERBY(FILTER(โ€œTablename_ref_tableโ€, TRUE), [Sort_column])
You can use this either in โ€œValid ifโ€ or โ€œSuggested valuesโ€.

(I hope I understoodโ€ฆ)

Yes, thats right. The type is REF, and I tried to sort with OrderBy(), but the column from the other table is not a valid column.

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @HCF and @khuslid,

With you original expression:

OrderBy(
  ),
  [SortColumn]
)

The [SortColumn] must belong to the Activities table, this is the condition for using ORDERBY() (in my opinion).

You say:

What I need to do, is to sort the Activities on the [SortColumn], but since this column refer to a column in another table (Activities and not Contacts), the column is not available in the expression builder

I think you pointed it out correctly: you are having trouble because you refer to a column, which refers to another table.

You may want to try this workaround : please create a virtual column in your Activities Table, which is a kind of copy of the [SortColumn], this way:
name : sortColumn_copy_VC
Type : Text
Expression : [SortColumn].[labelColumn] (or any column you think is useful for your sorting)

and change your original expression with:

OrderBy(
  ),
  [sortColumn_copy_VC]
)

Does it make a change ?
EDIT : change made with the workaround

Thanks, I made a new sort order for the view, that solved the issue.
Looking forward to see some more options with regard to sorting - like sorting on Slice level.

Glad you worked it out.

PS: You can use slices the same way as tables and sort on them as well - just so you know;)

Hi, thanks, I have not found a way to sort slides. How do you do that?

Normally you would let a view (table or deck) be based on a slice (after filtering out what ever youโ€™d like).
And then you sort in the view.
Is that what you meant?

I thought you had found a way to sort the slices itself. That would be very nice to have, since you may then set a sort order that apply for all views.

But the slice is not a view. Why would you want to sort thatโ€ฆ?
Iโ€™ve built some hundred apps now, and never had the need to sort other than views or WF templatesโ€ฆ
It is one click in the view, and then itโ€™s sorted.

It depends. I have some apps with very complex sorting and it may change from time to time - then itโ€™s much better to have the option to sort a slice rather than to iterate through all the different views.

Top Labels in this Space