I am 99% sure I want to split my registry tab...

I am 99% sure I want to split my registry table into 2 tables with the only differences being the app status (pending vs complete) and assigned evacuation center (pending has no assignment).

Reason is our hurricane Irma exp and having 800+ people hit our system last min…a flood of pending could cause us to hit our sheet limit.

So my question is can I create a search view that would locate a person’s name in either table? Can the magnifying search be edited to do this or would I hide that and have a totally separate search view? But could this work the same…ie search either first or last and not require exact match?

Also can appsheet prevent duplicate entries (based on name, dob, or phone combi) or would I need to do this in my source table application?

0 4 295
4 REPLIES 4

tony1

@Tammi_Canelli No, there’s no have two tables show up in a single view in the same app. What sheet limit are you referring to? Here’s info on the limits on data size in AppSheet: help.appsheet.com - Limits on Data Size

The easiest way to prevent a duplicate value is to make the value’s column the primary key of your table. Since every row must have a distinct key, AppSheet will automatically prevent you from adding duplicate values.

If you can’t get the behavior you want using that trick, then you can use valid_if column constraints to prevent duplicate values. See this example app: https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Only-allow-values-that-havent-been-chosen-in-dropdown?appGuidString... Limits on Data Size help.appsheet.com

I don’t need both table values to show in one list.

So there’s no way using lookup or select to write an expression that would search a name in both tables and then just return the value from the one table?

tony1

@Tammi_Canelli Oh, I misunderstood. If you want to have a dropdown of values from either table, you could put a formula like this in the valid_if rule of the column:

Table1[Name] + Table2[Name]

That won’t tell you which table the name comes from, though. You may have to write more complicated formulas to do that, which would depend on the details of what you’re trying to accomplish.

ok thank you.

I will play around with this.

I’m just envisioning a simple form view to mimic search fields, enter name, value gets returned and then user is able to access and edit the record - they wouldn’t even need to know what table is being referenced.

If that works it would solve ALL my problems!

Top Labels in this Space