I am working with 2 azure databases (sql).. o...

I am working with 2 azure databases (sql)โ€ฆ one is for production and one is for development/training.

I have a series of apps as well (production and training).

Does anyone have a documented process for a setup like this?

Iโ€™m struggling with how to best use the development environment then once vetted how I update the production apps without messing up the data sources.

0 8 352
8 REPLIES 8

Would be nice if at some point AppSheet allowed App Upgrade independently from data sources, but since currently data sources are saved in app definition in the use case you described above there is not a very clean way of making PROD apps from DEV apps; I think perhaps the safest way would be to follow these steps each time:

1. Pause the DEV app, so users cannot modify the database 2) Change data sources on the DEV app to point at PROD database 3) Build new PROD app either by copying DEV app from step 2, or by applying App Upgrade against DEV app. 4) Resume paused PROD app 5) Change data sources on DEV app to point back to DEV database 6) Resume paused DEV app

Have you thought about the App Upgrade feature? help.appsheet.com - App Upgrades App Upgrades help.appsheet.com

Thatโ€™s what we are talking about - having to always change the data sources back is a pain.

@RezaRaoofi is absolutely correct that the upgrade should be independent of the data source.

One way to do this is to have two different accounts: A-Dev and A-Prod. In each of them, have a data source called โ€˜AppDataSourceโ€™. In A-Dev, the data source points to the dev SQL source, and in A-Prod, it points to the prod SQL source.

Now the app definition is going to be the same (it just uses the data source name which is identical) but depending on which account owns the app or copy of the app, it targets a different set of underlying tables.

You can use app copy/transfer/upgrade to manage the actual upgrade once you have an appropriate new app definition in the A-Dev account.

@praveen Thank you Praveen.

How do we go about setting up a second account?

Additionally, the corporate account got attached to my email and I know IT wants to change this anyway so that would be a good time to make this change.

Tammi, easy enough to set up another AppSheet account. You just need another email address.

Would they both be attached to the corporate account? Iโ€™ll need to give IT pretty specific instructions, so any documentation or guidance you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

ok, will hook in +Drew Guzowski to make sure we get you the detailed info

Top Labels in this Space