I'd like to calculate the age by month and I ...

Iโ€™d like to calculate the age by month and I use the App formula, Itโ€™s work. But my problem is I have to click Edit the data first then the age will updated. The App Formula is not run if Iโ€™m not do something with that data.

Iโ€™d like to see the updated age on screen with no any action with app and I could not click Edit every month all data. Would you please give me any advise? Thanks.

0 16 1,208
16 REPLIES 16

Please use a virtual column for these types of live calculations

Thank you @Grant_Stead

Iโ€™d like to reopen this topic
Iโ€™m using the following app formula in a VC to calculate the current age:

FLOOR((HOUR(TODAY()-[Date Of Birth:]))/(365.24*24.0))

The calculation works, however it doesnโ€™t automatically update unless I edit the entry. I thought having this formula in a VC would force the app to recalculate the age with every sync.

Can somebody please tell me what Iโ€™m doing wrong?

That it doesnโ€™t recalculate on each sync but does when the entry is edited suggests it isnโ€™t a virtual column, but rather a normal column with an app formula. Youโ€™ll need to replace the normal column with a virtual column to recalculate at each sync.

Trust me, itโ€™s a virtual column. See image below:

And all your other virtual columns update properly on sync?

None of the age virtual column update properly after sync. All other virtual columns update as they should.

That isโ€ฆunexpected! Iโ€™m at a loss. Perhaps @Aleksi has an idea?

@Guillermo_Perez What is your account ID number and app/table name if I check it directly?

Hi @Aleksi my account ID number is 357445.
The app name is contacts and the table name is also named contacts.

Thanks for your help so far. @Steve thanks for trying to help.

Maybe you have all considered this, but just in case; is your expression listed under auto compute App formula or Initial Value?

@Guillermo_Perez I checked your app and all calculations are correct for column โ€œAgeโ€. Are you able to add one temporarely fake record so I could change the date and see what happens then?

@Aleksi please look at TEST CONTACT.

This contact is now showing the correct age. I started out with the date 4/27/1965. This correctly calculates the age of 54. I then tried to update the date in the spreadsheet to 4/27/1966 to see what would happen after a sync. It correctly updated to 53.

Iโ€™m at a loss because one of my real contactโ€™s date of birth is 4/27/1965 and a few days ago this should have automatically updated to 54, but it still remains at 53 unless I edit the entry. Please see the detail view and the form view below:

@Riki_Armstrong to answer your question, I placed the formula in App formula.

Iโ€™m wondering if this could somehow have something to do with the fact that I created a slice of this table to rearrange the columns as I saw fit. Although, this would be weird because i made sure that the slice allowed for adds, updates and deletes.

@Guillermo_Perez It would help to find out the reason if your app could be in that stage where the age is wrong after syncing. When you see that behavior, donโ€™t open and save that record so it wonโ€™t change anything. When your app is in that stage, send an email to support@appsheet.com with details and we will debug the reason. For now itโ€™s difficult because your app is not in that stage.

I have created another test contact with date of birth 5/7/2018. If tomorrow the age in the detailed view does not automatically change to 1, I will send an email to support.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Top Labels in this Space