I might be missing something: In my app, I h...

I might be missing something:

In my app, I have a โ€˜Customersโ€™ table and a โ€˜Contactsโ€™ table. In the โ€˜Customersโ€™ table, there is a ref to the โ€˜Contactsโ€™ table. In the form view, when adding a new contact in the ref field, how can I prepopulate the customer to be that of the customer I just entered before saving the forms?

0 9 384
  • UX
9 REPLIES 9

Mark the โ€œIs Part ofโ€ property in the ref column as true. So then when you add or edit a Customer, you will be able to add to the list of contacts related to that customer from within the Customer form. Is that something you have already tried?

Iโ€™ll try that.

Further, I also have a โ€œJob Profileโ€ table that is intended to reference the Customer, Contact, Site Address and others. Is there a way to prefill the โ€˜Site Addressโ€™ ref form based on the refโ€™d customer?

Depending on where the data is coming from (i.e. which is your ref column), you can put: [SourceTable].[SourceColumnInThatTable] as app formula for Site Address to prefill the column with data from another table. Just change the values.

@Mobile_Tuberculosis Itโ€™s for the โ€˜Site Addressโ€™ form when creating a new row from the ref column. Is there a way to back reference the first open form entries?

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought Site Address was a column. When you have a ref column, the table will be listed in-line when the referenced tableโ€™s details view is accessed. When a new form is created there, the ref column is auto-populated.

@Mobile_Tuberculosis ah, so I could reference that virtual column in the form viewโ€ฆ makes sense! But even before the form is saved?

Yes, if you mark โ€œIsPartOfโ€ as โ€œTrueโ€ as @David_Ackling-Jones said. However, you can only do this to one back-reference column. In the spec, this is defined as a relationship of โ€œis composed ofโ€.

Thanks for your help!

For your original questionโ€ฆ do you want to have lot of customers for one contact? It sounds you want lot of contacts for one customer. Or have I understood your request wrongly?

Top Labels in this Space