I want to format based on a column in a related record

I have mentor records that are related to trainee records. In the mentor records, there is a โ€œbackwardsโ€ reference called [Related Trainees] that contains a list of all the related trainee records to that mentor. I want to format the mentor based on if the column [Current Status] in any [Related Trainees] is equal to โ€œActive Approvedโ€โ€ฆ What would the code look like for that? Iโ€™m stumped as to where to start.

Would something like IF(ANY([related trainees].[Current Status])=โ€œActive Approvedโ€, True) work at all? I hesitate to think soโ€ฆ

Solved Solved
0 15 323
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Support has found that this is a glitch in the dereferencing utilized in this expression. When dereferenced in this manner, all column names and commands are case-sensitive unlike other instances in Appsheet.
They are working on a fix. In the meantime, a workaround is to ensure all commands and column names are capitalized exactly.

Quote from support:

It seems a bit weird, but Iโ€™ve replaced condition IN(โ€œActive Approvedโ€, [related trainees][current status])

with IN(โ€œActive Approvedโ€, [Related Trainees][Current Status]) and it starts to work

It is worth noting that I wrapped this expression in another โ€œand()โ€ expression, and all of it had to be capitalized exactly, including AND(), for it to work.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Try:

IN("Active Approved", [Related Tranees][Current Status])

See also:

This seems like it should work but doesnโ€™t?! Here is what I have for a screenshot:

When I click to test the expression, I get many records with โ€œYโ€ results, but nothing gets formatted in the app after saving and resyncing, etc.

Is this a glitch with the format rule?

Youโ€™ve saved our changes and synced the app?

Do you have any other format rules for the same columns?

Yes and yes. I have about 10 format rules for mentor records, most of which act on the mentor name. Basically to denote different statuses. Usually only up to 3 may apply to a given record at one time.

Could this apply?

3X_3_a_3ac0a4369541581783d69511ad236770816f2665.png

See also:

All the rules use icons, so I should see the icon I selected for this rule, which I do not, only the other rules. I actually intend to make this test for more than just the condition discussed, so it will have a narrower application that it does now. At this point, about half (or more) my mentor records should have this icon, and none do. I should add that no existing rule overlaps this one, hence why I was unsure how to code it.

I would divide et impera by first disabling the other 9 format rules and only keeping this one and test it until I achieve what I want.

Also there could be an issue (not very sure) that if some statuses are blanks , it could impact the result

I wish I had the luxury of disabling the others, but this is a production system and it would be far from ideal to remove that much functionality.

Disabling, not removing, for half hour, the reenabling them, for โ€œdebuggingโ€ purposes

Understood, would need to do it outside business hours as the โ€œiconsโ€ are critical to business functions.

I gave a broadcast notice to my users. Turning off the other format rules did not solve the problem.

@Steve โ€ฆ should I take this up with support, or is there something more I could post here to help you troubleshoot this? Here are my expression test results:

As you can see, there are plenty of positive results, but the records do not get formatted still, even with all others turned off. Please advise, and thanks!

I noticed when I disabled this format rule, by the way, that the column Iโ€™m attempting to apply the formatting to shifts left to right, the same amount of space as the icon. The icon simply does not appear. So weird.

Sounds like a good idea at this point. Iโ€™m at a loss.

Thanks for your help, it should have worked, it seems!

Support has found that this is a glitch in the dereferencing utilized in this expression. When dereferenced in this manner, all column names and commands are case-sensitive unlike other instances in Appsheet.
They are working on a fix. In the meantime, a workaround is to ensure all commands and column names are capitalized exactly.

Quote from support:

It seems a bit weird, but Iโ€™ve replaced condition IN(โ€œActive Approvedโ€, [related trainees][current status])

with IN(โ€œActive Approvedโ€, [Related Trainees][Current Status]) and it starts to work

It is worth noting that I wrapped this expression in another โ€œand()โ€ expression, and all of it had to be capitalized exactly, including AND(), for it to work.

Top Labels in this Space