Identifying the row being edited in a form

Is there something like CONTEXT() that would identify not just the view, but the particular column being edited in a form? I need to use it in customization of system text in the UX Localize option.

I have a form with a field referencing another table. The user is supposed to create a new record in the referenced table, and AppSheet shows: New. The issue is the word โ€œNewโ€ in another language can be feminine or masculine, and I need to avoid showing a gender mismatch in the App. Thanks!

Solved Solved
0 10 168
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oh, I havenโ€™t noticed this before !! Well then, I guess instead of an adjective, I will think of a gender-neutral verb to use for localizing

Thanks for the nth time Suvrutt for your help, much appreciated !

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

If you could elaborate your problem a bit more with maybe screenshots, the community could suggest any solution if available.

Sureโ€ฆ thank youโ€ฆ

Below screenshot is part of the form, the user is about to update the column named โ€œEstanciaโ€, which is a reference to another table, so he will actually create a new record in that table.

Form screenshot

In the following image below, the app is asking the user to create a new record in the Estancias table. You see that the word โ€œNewโ€ has been replaced by its Spanish equivalent โ€œNuevoโ€.

Pop-up screenshot

I had done this replacement of โ€œNewโ€ by โ€œNuevoโ€ in the Localize section in UX where you have a list of system text, and you manually put the translation for each of them as a simple text or as a formula.

Now, the issue is this:

• Sometimes I will need the app to show โ€œNuevaโ€ instead, which is the feminine form of โ€œNuevoโ€.
  • This should be based on the name of the column being edited. So if it is a new โ€œEstanciaโ€ the App should show โ€œNuevaโ€, if it is a new โ€œClienteโ€ the app should show โ€œNuevoโ€.

The question is: how can I know which column (form field) is being edited? Context() will give me the view and will tell me it is a Form. I need to go a step further and identify the particular column in that view.

Thank you for all the details. Are "Etanciaโ€ and โ€œClienteโ€ reference columns based on two different tables?

Yes they areโ€ฆ

Thank you. Yes, as per my understanding, it is currently not possible because the row level ( and hence column level) information is not available in 'localize" expressions.

Thanks But are there specific localize expressions? Canโ€™t I use any expression in the Localize fields just as any other formula field in the app?
I just need an expression to identify the column being edited, if any.

No, in case of localize option and views display names , expression assistant clearly mentions the below warning. You can of course use any expressions but those are not evaluated in the context of a row and hence row specific column.

Oh, I havenโ€™t noticed this before !! Well then, I guess instead of an adjective, I will think of a gender-neutral verb to use for localizing

Thanks for the nth time Suvrutt for your help, much appreciated !

You are welcome. I think the below will be a good practical workaround.

FYI, instead of โ€œNewโ€, I thought now of putting the equivalent of โ€œCreateโ€ (Crear). I think it reflects the action even betterโ€ฆ

Top Labels in this Space