Initial value / Data action not working

Hey guys
I'm pretty new at this. I've been trying to performe an action that sums 2 other columns of the row. The triggering is ok, I see it in the monitor. However, when I set the data action [column1] to be [column2]+[column3], it doesnt perform it automatically (it tells me it's been successful in the monitor, but nothing changes). The strange thing is that, if I press the action button, it performs the action, even though the value is blank in the sheet (but you can see it when you click on it or export the tabel to SPSS or something like that).
I've tryied setting this expression to the initial value of [colum1], but it doesn't work either.  If a create a virtual column and set the same expression, it works fine (but I need that value in my sheet, so it pretty much has no use for me).
My sheet is actually a sheet generated via Google Forms, and [column1] is not one of the fields in the form.
I only have one sheet, but my primary key is set as a data stamp from the form, if that matters.

Anyone can help me?
Thanks in advance

0 3 68
3 REPLIES 3

It sounds like you're using a Data: set the value of some columns in this row action. Maybe that's what your scenario requires. Nonetheless, in case you didn't consider it: Did you try using the App formula property to simply calculate [column 1] whenever a row is edited?

Hello!

Yes, I did try that too. It happens the same: if it's a virtual column, it
works. If it's a real spreadsheet column, it doesn't. I made sure the
column settings allowed editing. I thought that maybe it had something to
do with data coming from another app and not appsheet itself, but it
doesn't make sense.

Thanks!
Felicio

Are you saying that columns 2 and 3 can be edited outside of your AppSheet app? If so, thatโ€™s not going to be detected by AppSheet as an edit to the row, and therefore the row wonโ€™t be triggered to recalculate. 
There may be other issues with your data design, but putting the necessary column 1 formula in the spreadsheet itself might meet your need. 

Top Labels in this Space