Initial values set based variable answers.

Hi,

I want the to set the initial value based on 3 other true or false questions. 

For example in "show" I have [MANAGER]="TRUE" then it shows the question for that role. I want the initial value to be set to "Required" for that question. The question then References a Table with a selection of answers. I tried setting the "Initial value" to Required for all of the questions but on the sheet document it fills them all in. Even the questions not pertaining to the role. So basically I am trying to get to a point where It fills in "required" for only the questions pertaining to that persons role. Another thing is some questions are for multiple roles. So for the "show" formula I have OR([CSR]="TRUE", [Manager]="true"). There can be questions only the CSR needs to see that should be set to "Required" initially.

Thanks  

Solved Solved
0 4 128
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It sounds like you want to repeat your Show if expressions within your Initial value expressions to create a condition for populating an initial value. For example:

IFS([MANAGER]="TRUE", "Required")

Also, be sure you're distinguishing between Initial value, which determines what value initially populates a column in a newly created row, and Require?, which determines whether a column must be populated when saving a newly created row.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

It sounds like you want to repeat your Show if expressions within your Initial value expressions to create a condition for populating an initial value. For example:

IFS([MANAGER]="TRUE", "Required")

Also, be sure you're distinguishing between Initial value, which determines what value initially populates a column in a newly created row, and Require?, which determines whether a column must be populated when saving a newly created row.

That will work if the was just pertaining to the manager. Now having multiple if statements is probably not the correct wording but iFS([CSR]="TRUE","required",[general Manager]="true","required") would be the correct value for these roles. 

Nvm my reply. It worked perfect. Thanks for your help. That little s after IF was all the difference. Thanks again. 

Sure.

In case it's helpful, there are a couple options for simplification.

You can combine multiple conditions with OR, as you did in one of the examples from your original post. In addition, if the fields you're evaluating for equaling "true" use the Yes/No data type, then you don't even need to specify the equivalence explicitly.

IFS(OR([CSR], [general Manager]),"required")

Also, here's more information about IFS().

Wow, The time I would of saved using the Yes/No data type instead of typing True behind everything. Thanks for the tips. Really just opened my mind to more. 

Top Labels in this Space