Input Mode (AUTO) stopped working

Something seems to have stopped working with input mode when set to auto.

Auto mode now seems to force all values to be selected from the list. Which is a pain when you only have one value, forcing you to go into the drop-down list to select the one value. Whereas before hand, it would automatically see that only one value is there and change the input mode from list to button.

Does anyone know why this may be happening, or is it a bug?

Regards, Ben

0 7 309
7 REPLIES 7

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Is the input column of type Ref?

Hi Steve, Yes they are of type Ref.

If the Ref points to a table or slice that allows adds, AppSheet wants to give the user to option of adding a new row. That option can only be presented in the dropdown input mode.

I must have changed it from looking at a name column to a ref column, so as long as I donโ€™t use a ref column then it will automatically change from dropdown to button dependant on the number of values it is looking at.

As always, thanks again for your help steve.

If you want to preselect an option if there is just 1 to select, you could use a Initial Value expression for it.

For example, if you have a list of options made from this:

FILTER(
  "A_TABLE",
  [DATE]>TODAY()
)

You could create an Initial Value expression like this one:

IF(
  COUNT(
    FILTER(
      "A_TABLE",
      [DATE]>TODAY()
    )
  )=1,
  INDEX(
    FILTER(
      "A_TABLE",
      [DATE]>TODAY()
    ),
  ),
  ""
)

With this:

1. If there is just one option itโ€™s gonna be preselected
  2. If there are more, no option is gonna be selected waiting for the user to do so

Thats great, ill definatley be adding this in.

Thanks a lot @SkrOYC

In my experience, Auto always is Dropdown, IDK why

AFAIK, you always need to select a value, if itโ€™s Dropdown, Button, Stack, doesnโ€™t matter, unless there is an Initial Value expression to do so.

If thatโ€™s how it worked for you, great. I always select which mode I want because it was always Dropdown on Auto

Top Labels in this Space