Is it possible to create a new spreadsheet on a table from the application?

Hi,

I am a beginner in AppSheet, I was making an App to learn. I wanted to know if it is possible to add a spreadsheet to a table from the application. For example, a Table with annual movements and each time a new year begins, the application adds a new sheet for one more year to the Table.
This is possible?

Thanks

Solved Solved
0 9 174
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, if it is required to have a new sheet added, you would need to use a script to generate it. 

But note...if your intention is to also have that sheet's data surfaced within the app, this CANNOT be done automatically or through any sort of process.  There simply is not any way to dynamically add a table to an app.

You haven't said why you need to have a new sheet automatically created.  Some App Creators might do this because they are using that data in some other external application/process.  If you have no need for such access then I would STRONGLY recommend to stick with a single sheet, add a column for Year and filter the data as needed in AppSheet.  This will be MUCH easier to manage in the app.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Not possible. 

And you wouldn't want to do that.  Instead, simply have a column for Year and just continue writing your data in the same sheet.  You can easily divide the data by Year within the apps. 

Hi Willow,

Thanks for your answer.
That's the solution I had thought of and the one I ended up doing. But if the application has been around for 10 years, with many movements, won't it be too heavy to manage?

It shouldn't, and if you are going to have a really big dataset, they expect you to move to Enterprise

Scale using data partitions - AppSheet Help

It can be done through Automation>Call a Script. I did mine by creating a script on Google then access the function through AppSheet.

Yes, you can add a new sheet using API calls to some script to generate the sheet for you but you cannot automatically add it as a Table into the app - which is what I think the ask was for. 

Maybe I expressed myself wrong, but what I'm looking for is to add a sheet to the table.
Where can I find that information?

Thanks

In the original post it was stated, "each time a new year begins, the application adds a new sheet for one more year to the Table".  This implies that each year is represented by its own spreadsheet and they are all somehow attached to the table.  This is not possible.

Instead, Do you mean add the DATA from some separate spreadsheet into the app?  If so, are you then wanting to do this from a user action in the app itself or by some automated process?

Thank you Willow for your patience,

What I want to do I think is simpler.
Something Automatic that every time I add a movement with a different new year to my sheets adds a new sheet.
Perhaps, as nocewstelcoserv says, with an App Script in the table.
For example like below picture:

Cleger_0-1662227138397.png

Yes, if it is required to have a new sheet added, you would need to use a script to generate it. 

But note...if your intention is to also have that sheet's data surfaced within the app, this CANNOT be done automatically or through any sort of process.  There simply is not any way to dynamically add a table to an app.

You haven't said why you need to have a new sheet automatically created.  Some App Creators might do this because they are using that data in some other external application/process.  If you have no need for such access then I would STRONGLY recommend to stick with a single sheet, add a column for Year and filter the data as needed in AppSheet.  This will be MUCH easier to manage in the app.

Top Labels in this Space