Is it possible to display two Detail views with different rows in a Dashboard view?

I’m trying to build a tool to compare (side-by-side) the details of two rows. I’ve setup a dashboard view that has two different detail views and two corresponding gallery views. I have a Gallery view to select the row to open in each detail view, paired with a custom LINKTOROW() action for each of these Gallery views that targets their respective detail views. I have also enabled “Interactive mode” for the Dashboard.

Currently, when I click on a row in either Gallery view, it changes BOTH Detail views to the row I clicked. If I navigate (left or right) to another row inside a Detail view, it changes the other Detail view to the same row. Is it possible to show two rows on one Dashboard view?

Solved Solved
0 3 1,323
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As Marc says , indeed interesting feature. Sharing an approach.

The below implementation is slightly different than @thethunderbird has mentioned. Instead of gallery view , there is an enum selection for two detail views. The implementation requires a user’s table ( one row per user email) to hold user selections. The dashboard is not interactive.

The implementation is based on the principle of the below referenced sample app.

For user selections, the user table refers to the table who’s detail views need to be displayed. There are two reference columns in the user table to select row 1 and row 2 each from the parent table. The parent table’s label column is defined on image and product name so referenced rows in user table selection display both product name and image.

Finally ,the two detail views are based on two slices , having filter expressions based on Enum selection in user table form on the left in the dashboard.

https://www.appsheet.com/templates/Allow-the-user-to-filter-a-view-based-on-a-form?appGuidString=912...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hmm, interesting feature to solve. Here’s what comes to my mind:

First, turn on interactive mode, that’s not gonna work for you here.

Next, make 2 Slices, one for each record. These Slices will have a filter condition that results in only 1 record being in each Slice. Base each of your 2 Detail views, 1 on each Slice.

Now you just need some way to assign the records to each Slice.

I’m thinking a [flag] column of sorts, DateTime type maybe, where the Slice matches via equality to a MAX() or MAXROW().

Then your clicking on the Gallery view sets the value of the [flag] to NOW(). You could just set up two separate Actions, one to set the “first” view, one to set the “second”. Although I’m not sure a Gallery View can handle multiple Actions. I can imagine getting fancier and having an alternating pattern so it’s just one click.

It’s possible that won’t actually work, the views might be stuck on the certain records, even if they aren’t in the Slice anymore, and just show a blank view…maybe. So you might need to incorporate a LINKTOVIEW() on the Gallery’s row-select as well, just to return to the same view. A “refresh” of sorts.

None of this is tested at all, and I have significant doubts whether it will actually work, but hopefully I’ve given you something to play with at least

As Marc says , indeed interesting feature. Sharing an approach.

The below implementation is slightly different than @thethunderbird has mentioned. Instead of gallery view , there is an enum selection for two detail views. The implementation requires a user’s table ( one row per user email) to hold user selections. The dashboard is not interactive.

The implementation is based on the principle of the below referenced sample app.

For user selections, the user table refers to the table who’s detail views need to be displayed. There are two reference columns in the user table to select row 1 and row 2 each from the parent table. The parent table’s label column is defined on image and product name so referenced rows in user table selection display both product name and image.

Finally ,the two detail views are based on two slices , having filter expressions based on Enum selection in user table form on the left in the dashboard.

https://www.appsheet.com/templates/Allow-the-user-to-filter-a-view-based-on-a-form?appGuidString=912...

Great insights both of you! I’ve already implemented a similar user-selected filter producing a slice with one result but I never considered using a detail view of that whole slice.

Top Labels in this Space