Limit Total Sum For Unique Items (Steve I'm Looking At You)

Letโ€™s say I have a fruit store and thereโ€™s a deal where if a customer buys enough of any one fruit, the total price cannot exceed $150. For example, a customer could buy 50 strawberries for a total of $50 but if they buy 200 strawberries, the price is capped at $150. However, their purchase could include a variety of different fruits so the cap only kicks in if the sum for any unique fruit exceeds $150.

I created an expression that works but once there are a lot of items in a list, the processing time is crazy and often the app throws up an error/window freezes. Is there a better way of doing this?

IFS(
SUM(SELECT(Fruit[Price],
AND(
[Category Id] = [_THISROW].[Category Id],
[Fruit ID] = [_THISROW].[Fruit ID])))>150.00,
DECIMAL(
150.00/
COUNT(SELECT(Fruit[Price],
AND(
[Fruit ID] = [_THISROW].[Fruit ID],
[In Stock] = True)))
)
)

0 9 213
9 REPLIES 9

How is the data organized? What are the table and how are they related?

It might be smart to use this somewhere here:

Bear in mind that this example is adapted for clarity, Iโ€™m not actually a fruit vendor but letโ€™s say I have a parent table of โ€˜Customerโ€™ parent table and a child table of their โ€˜fruit basketsโ€™. Fruits can be added and removed before they check out. The difficulty here is that there isnโ€™t a unique fruits table (yeah I know), instead, the โ€˜fruit basketsโ€™ table contains many rows of the same fruit. I hope this makes sense.

Further explain the data structure of the fruit basket table. Like, can a user enter a record of just 1 fruit, then a quantity, and a sub-total price is calculated there? Can a user create multiple separate fruit basket records with the same fruit, within a single Customer? Or is there perhaps a child Table underneath fruit basket as well?

So, why donโ€™t you make one?

Your expression reformatted for clarity

IFS(
  SUM(SELECT(
    Fruit[Price],
    AND(
      [Fruit ID] = [_THISROW].[Fruit ID]
    )
  ))>150.00

DECIMAL( 
    150.00 /
    COUNT(SELECT(
      Fruit[Price],
      AND(
        [Fruit ID] = [_THISROW].[Fruit ID],
        [In Stock] = True
      )
    ))
  )
)

Of the Table that youโ€™ve so far explained, in what context is this expression running? In the Customer Table?

I donโ€™t understand why you are dividing 150 by the COUNT of the records. How does that solve your stated requirement?

The expression is running in the child table (โ€˜fruit basketโ€™). Itโ€™d make more sense to run in the Customer table but I couldnโ€™t figure out how say โ€œSELECT all fruits in basket and if the sum of any unique fruit is over $150 then cap at $150 and then add the total cost of the remaining fruitsโ€.

The reason for the division is to provide an itemized cost. In other words, if there are 200 strawberries for a total of $150, each strawberry costs $1.33 whereas if you buy 1000, each strawberry costs $0.15.

Did you by chance miss my first reply just now, since I replied twice in a row (my bad!) ?

Oh didnโ€™t see that. The reason I donโ€™t want to add an additional table is simply because of sync time, as soon as I add anything, the sync time jumps to 30 seconds plus which is too much in my case.

Perhaps my example isnโ€™t the best, the customers can only remove or modify existing records in the child table, they canโ€™t add records. Itโ€™s really just about whether thereโ€™s a simpler way of creating a limit on a price based on a unique id within a list of ids. That may be a better way of putting it.

If this were all in SQL iโ€™d just add a view/temporary table of the unique items but, as always, the workarounds on appsheet are to ensure that the app sync time doesnโ€™t go off the rails.

That response mostly just confused me moreโ€ฆ

I canโ€™t imagine how you expect this to work here then.

Going in a different direction, Iโ€™ll explain how I would set this up to meet what I think your requirements are, within your described app functionality.

Have 2 Tables:

1. Purchase Order (โ€œfruit basketโ€)
  2. PO Line Item (โ€œfruitโ€ ?)

Purchase Order can be thought of just as a โ€œfolderโ€ for the individual Line Items, but will also hold our total price, as well as reference to a Customer if need be.

Each Line Item will reference a single fruit, with a valid_if that you cannot select the same fruit twice within the same PO. Youโ€™ll also enter a quantity, and have a sub-total calculated out. IN this calculation here is where youโ€™ll use the $150 max, it could just be:

MIN( $150 , [qty] * [fruit].[price] )

Your PO total price will be:

SUM( [Related Line Items][subtotal] )

Or, I wasnโ€™t sure if the $150 cap was supposed to be applied over the entire PO, or not (that would seem like an amazing deal if so, so Iโ€™d doubt it, but just in caseโ€ฆ). If so, add a Yes/No column in your Line Item Table, titled something like โ€œDeal Reached?โ€, with expression:

[qty] * [fruit].[price] > 150

Then change the POโ€™s total calculation expression to:

IF(
  IN( TRUE , [Related Line Items][Deal Reached? ) ,
  150 ,
  SUM( [Related Line Items][subtotal] )
)

Note that Iโ€™m working with just total prices, as I assumed from the first post, but you just explained further that youโ€™re wanting price per item. Not sure why that wasnโ€™t mentioned from the beginning, or at what level exactly youโ€™re looking for that, but hopefully you can use the above to figure out how to meet the needs of your situation, and change as needed.

Thatโ€™s great, thanks so much Marc! Sorry for the confusion, my adapted example may not have been the best. Appreciate it.

Top Labels in this Space