Make field always visible but editable only for specific user

Hi guys,

I want to have a field โ€œCommentsโ€ always visible because it may already has data, but make it Editable only if the user email logged is = โ€œtest.mail@gmail.comโ€

I already tried with Editable_if expression, but what happened is that if I am not the user with that email, the field is not shown to me. And I already tried in the Show_if expression = True() it appear even if field is blank but only in View, not when not work when Edit the form.

Solved Solved
0 7 1,626
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We donโ€™t show empty non-editable fields because forms sometimes can have many of these and they do not show meaningful information.

If the issue is that the โ€˜Fecha Compromisoโ€™ field might be required when the Status field is set, but the current user cannot fill it in, you can define a Valid_If constraint on the Status field to indicate this.

I hope I am correctly interpreting your requirements.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Editable_if: USEREMAIL() = โ€œtest.mail@gmail.com" should be what you want.
The field should always show in a form view if Show is on (no expression).
If youโ€™re wanting it to show in a detail view even when blank, I think you can set it as a Quick Edit column.

Actually I already tried when the Show is on but same problem in the edit Form mode.

Youโ€™re saying that with the conditions:

1. editable_if expression set as above
  2. Show? is marked ON
  3. logged in user is NOT โ€œtest.mail@gmail.comโ€

that the Comment field is not visible in the Form view?

Letโ€™s see some screenshots of the app and the column definitions.

Exactly

1. the Editable_if expression is set as above
  2. Show? is marked ON
  3. logged in user is NOT โ€œtest.mail@gmail.comโ€

I just saw that the issue is only when the field is empty, if there is nothing, the field is not shown. I will show the case with the real field, called โ€œFecha Compromisoโ€

here when the user logged is โ€œtest.mail@gmail.comโ€, the field is editable (good):
2X_d_db4df9a88ec2678911a60615f3d6bbe30e1d22dc.png

Here when it is other user, the field is Not editable (good):
2X_4_4295f2529f2f873c169d95740c6c8706758bc8ed.png

and this is the error, when itโ€™s another user and the field is empty, โ€œFecha Compromisoโ€ is not shown:
2X_d_dfaf30ab6ee5647b35c865e4a0554d9bff262ef0.png

And my case is that, the field โ€œFecha Compromisoโ€ becomes required if a โ€œStatusโ€ field is set to โ€œIn Processโ€, but the same field must be filled only by the user โ€œtest.mail@gmail.comโ€

We donโ€™t show empty non-editable fields because forms sometimes can have many of these and they do not show meaningful information.

If the issue is that the โ€˜Fecha Compromisoโ€™ field might be required when the Status field is set, but the current user cannot fill it in, you can define a Valid_If constraint on the Status field to indicate this.

I hope I am correctly interpreting your requirements.

Thanks Praveen, and I just saw in other post the same you said. I changed a little bit the logic in my App to get almost the same, so I am fine for now.

Would be fine that team updates the helping article with what you said:

It seems to me that behavior should be revisited as there are already ways to control which field are shown / relevant, e.g. list of columns in the form and Show checkbox / formula.

for some forms, it would be relevant to be able to display some information relative to the context for the user - e.g. bug ID, bug title before they update the priority, add a comment, update the status...

Top Labels in this Space