Modify data in 1 table using data from another table

So Iโ€™m working on an app to help organize and quickly fill out forms and update information on the go from mobile device. So far, I love this app! However, Iโ€™m stuck doing the following.

I have a table for:

1. Equipment (laptops, speakers etc.) Saves data related to the equipment and who owns it currently USER_ID.

2. Assignment Forms (A form to fill out when equipment changes ownership) Has unique FORM_ID, USER_ID (max. 1) and date, and a virtual table that contains all equipment that will be assigned on this form.

3. Assignment registries (Created by adding equipment to assignment form) Saves FORM_ID of the Assignment form it belongs to, the id of the equipment it will modify and the reason of the ownership change.

So what I need to do now is create an action(s) triggered by a button, that will update the USER_ID in equipment table using the USER_ID from the Assignment form, and do this for every registry with the same FORM_ID where I clicked the button.

0 5 500
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Victor_HMG

So what youโ€™re going to need to do is to create a Bot that triggers on a new Assignment Form being created and then runs a "add a new row to another table by using values from this row" type action to update the other table/s

Hope this helps

Simon@1minManager.com

I dont want to add a new row to another table. I just want to update referenced rows in that other table. Does the same action work for that purpose? I saw a demo that updated a table when changes where made in another one, but the update was only a +1 formula. Is there a way to know the values from the row that was updated that triggered the bot to update another table? Like passing the values.

Unfortunately, AppSheet has no built-in way to pass arguments to an action, so youโ€™ll have to put together your own method to do it. But what you want to do is possible, and doesnโ€™t require Automation.

Create two actions (in Behavior >> Actions๐Ÿ˜ž

Action 1

• For a record of this table: (equipment table)

• Do this: Data: set the values of some columns in this row

• Set these columns:

• USER_ID:

LOOKUP(
        MAX(assignment-form[_ROWNUMBER]),
        "assignment-form",
        "_ROWNUMBER",
        "USER_ID"
      )

Replace assignment-form (x2) with the name of the table receiving the completed assignment forms.

Action 2

• For a record of this table: (assignment forms table)

• Do this: Data: execute an action on a set of rows

• Referenced Table: (equipment table)

• Referenced Rows: [affected-equipment] (replacing affected-equipment with the name of the column in the assignment form that contains the list of equipment to be updated)

• Referenced Action: (action 1)

Attach action 2 as the Form Saved event action for the assignment form tableโ€™s form view. Then, when an assignment form is saved, action 2 will be performed automatically. Action 2 performs action 1 for each piece of equipment identified in the newly-submitted assignment form. Action 1 sets the piece of equipmentโ€™s USER_ID column value to the USER_ID column value from the most-recently-added assignment form. The most-recently-added assignment form is the one with the highest _ROWNUMBER column value.

So here your basically saying your in the equipment table and you want to change something in the assignment table. Am I correct?

I want to modify equipment table to change user_id(in equipment table) to match the user_id from the assignment form where multiple equipment rows will be referenced.

Top Labels in this Space