Mulitple Columns - Financial, Data Grid

gavina

Hi there. I am new to AppSheets, and so far a great experience. However I am really struggling to create what I see as a typical Budget Template, with accounts as rows, and months as columns (something that is fairly standard for financial planning and forecasting), and therefore fairly standard in the spreadsheet world?

1. What is the best way to store the data? The only way I can see, is to create a data table with months as columns in the table?
  2. I am able to create a virtual column to sum the months so thats fine?
  3. What I cannot see, is how to give sub-totals for every month column, as there is only ONE aggregation option, so cannot create 12 aggregation columns?

As I mentioned, this is a very typical financial style of presenting data? I am aware that pivtoting is not available, and therefore โ€œflattendโ€ by data, but wthout having months as columns in the data table, cannot see how we present a very simple โ€œdata gridโ€ with columns aggregating?

Any suggestions? I am open to integrating something perhaps as a plug-in to achieve (as long as performance doesnt suffer), or a more efficient / similar way of presenting the data, and without this functionality, will not be able to use AppSheets which is a real shame, so hopefully the community can come to my rescue!! Especially when there is a new Grid Edit feature that gives you a cell like updating capability in a grid.

LInk below to the basic Google Sheet:
Google Sheet Budget Template

Kind Regards
Gavin

0 3 858
3 REPLIES 3

Please check this sample app โ€œSummaryโ€ from www.appsheet.com/portfolio/531778 if that would work for you.

Hi there and thanks for the Summary App. It certainly does address the issue, and if I understand the logic, it is using the underlying data set (Google Sheets) to perform the calculations? How would this work with mutliple grouping and totals rather than a simply single list? Also how would this work if Google Sheets was NOT the underlying database, say something like a SQL Server database?

Really keen to take AppSheets forward, and want to be clear what the very best solutions is here.

Kind Regards,
Gavin

It would probably not work with SQL. This app shows this as a workaround while we donโ€™t have a good solution to do that on the same view.

Top Labels in this Space