Need help in with barcode scannig

Hello everyone,
I’d like to ask for your assistance with an app I’m making to verify whether or not tickets are valid. I have a sheet of people registered with their barcodes and everything, and all I want is for the app to respond that " Alex Becker" is registered / not registered, or perhaps scan only barcodes in the database…

The issue I’m having is that it scans every barcode regardless of whether it’s in the database or not.

Apologies for the length of my speech; I’m hoping someone can assist.

Many thanks

0 5 123
5 REPLIES 5

3X_1_8_18e01ebde8c7a8cc0df5a845e30772cec08a53ab.png

How do you expect the app to know whether or not the barcode is in your system without scanning it?

Hello and thank you for your response.
I do have the option to scan, but it scans every barcode regardless of it’s registered or no.

Hii @Mohamed_Adui

Scanning is basically a visual translation of a series of figures and letters.

I may be wrong, but in my opinion this is comparing two things that cannot be compared.

If you are looking into scan and check, the information in the QR should be a key-column of another table.
Then, your “scanning” field will be of type Ref, and its source table will be this “another table”.

It doesn’t seem to be clear what you mean by this.

To backup for a second. Barcodes are typically just another identifier that allows for easy lookup in a system using a scanning device.

I haven’t worked with QR Codes much but I understand they can encapsulate a lot more information. They can also be as identifiers but could also just be used to convey information in a compact way. The most common I have seen is providing a link to some company website.

In your app, I understand you are using QR Codes as an identifier of register users.

Getting apps to work with barcodes or QR codes is basically a two step process.

1. Save the code into the database. Used as an identifier, this requires assigning it to some data row of other information in the system - such as a person who has been registered.

2. Scan the code and perform lookup in the system. If found, retrieve the data row the code belongs to.

When you say “scans every barcode regardless of whether it’s in the database or not”, I assume you are attempting Step 2) above - Scan an Lookup. If so, my thought drifts to some complaints about attempts to scan a list of codes on a sheet. In some devices, the scanner does not provide the capability to TARGET a specific code for scanning and you have no control, when scanning the sheet, of which code the scanner picks up.

If this is your problem, then the only way to prevent it is to cover all other codes so only the one you want is shown. For this I would recommend creating a “scanning template” - just cut a square the size of the code in a piece of white poster board or paper (poster board will last longer). Then place the square over the code to scan and scan.

There are other scanning devices that allow targeting of codes. I have only used iPhones. I think I’ve read that Android scanners allow targeting?

Also, there are third party scanners which I am certain I have read years ago that others where able to get working with AppSheet apps.

If what I have assumed above is NOT your problem. Then please elaborate more so we can help better.

Top Labels in this Space