Nested Group-By inconsistent in showing blank grouping?

I have a budgeting app all set up.  On the right in blue I have a nested group-by setup working flawlessly.  I can see all the items I have not categorized yet in the blank category grouping.  Perfection.

On the left in red I did the same setup.  Except I have a whole load of blank "Reconciled" items not showing up in a blank grouping.  I had thought originally that it was because some of the "Project" grouping is also blank, but even if I change the second grouping to "Month" (same as the Category tab), it still doesn't show blank Reconciled groupings like it does on the right. Why would there be a difference?

Appsheet Blank.png

Not sure if this matters but if I have only one grouping, if I delete "1-Unreconciled' and "2-Pending" items, then only "3-Reconciled" show up and "All" does not.  Strange.

Solved Solved
0 3 317
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Sorweel wrote:

On the left in red I did the same setup.  Except I have a whole load of blank "Reconciled" items not showing up in a blank grouping.

My understanding is that you have a bunch of rows where the [Reconciled] column is blank and you are expecting them to show under a "blank" group in the Table view.  Correct?

The most important question is:  What datasource are you using for your view and does it actually contain the rows where the [Reconciled] column is blank?

For instance, if you created a Slice where the row criteria is set as something like - IN([Reconciled], {"1-Unreconciled", "2-Pending", "3-Reconciled"})

Then you used this Slice in your view, it would not contain any rows where [Reconciled] is blank.

The second most important question is:  What device are you viewing these on?

If you are viewing these on Desktop and have "Desktop Mode Preview" setting turned on, you may be seeing a bug.  Desktop Mode Preview is still in implementation/Beta and does have some issues.  It is not yet ready for live apps.

@Sorweel wrote:

Not sure if this matters but if I have only one grouping, if I delete "1-Unreconciled' and "2-Pending" items, then only "3-Reconciled" show up and "All" does not.  Strange.

This is what I would expect if there is only a single grouping to show (for the record - I don't think this was always the case.  I think, in the past, All was always shown).  This is another indication that your datasource does NOT include rows where the [Reconciled] column is blank.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Sorweel wrote:

On the left in red I did the same setup.  Except I have a whole load of blank "Reconciled" items not showing up in a blank grouping.

My understanding is that you have a bunch of rows where the [Reconciled] column is blank and you are expecting them to show under a "blank" group in the Table view.  Correct?

The most important question is:  What datasource are you using for your view and does it actually contain the rows where the [Reconciled] column is blank?

For instance, if you created a Slice where the row criteria is set as something like - IN([Reconciled], {"1-Unreconciled", "2-Pending", "3-Reconciled"})

Then you used this Slice in your view, it would not contain any rows where [Reconciled] is blank.

The second most important question is:  What device are you viewing these on?

If you are viewing these on Desktop and have "Desktop Mode Preview" setting turned on, you may be seeing a bug.  Desktop Mode Preview is still in implementation/Beta and does have some issues.  It is not yet ready for live apps.

@Sorweel wrote:

This is what I would expect if there is only a single grouping to show (for the record - I don't think this was always the case.  I think, in the past, All was always shown).  This is another indication that your datasource does NOT include rows where the [Reconciled] column is blank.

Ok, I think you have me started down the right path.  The Slice is based on a single category, nothing to do with Reconciled column.  But!  The Reconciled column type is set up as an EnumList that I manually entered.  So I think the Group By is looking at that allowed EnumList only when grouping.  That makes sense.

So that's the problem and I thank you for getting me here.  I've tried "allow other values" and I've even tried adding blank items to the EnumList in the data source (they never actually save) and manually through the form, neither gets what I want as showing blank groupings.  I know what you're thinking;  the right thing to do is to force all blank entries to "1-Unreconciled" and simply work from there.  I'll fold that into my process.

Thanks!

I just discovered that changing from EnumList to Enum was enough and now exposes blank items to the Groupby!  Thanks!

Top Labels in this Space