No coding

Could I really develop an App myself using AppSheet and without knowing coding ? and manage it myself?

0 7 202
7 REPLIES 7

What I can say is -- this platform allows for that possibility. If you can build the basic Google Sheet (spreadsheet) where row one (your Header Row) contains the names of your data fields, and each row underneath contains your rows of data associated with your Header Row -- then you are more than half-way there. 

The tutorials were very helpful to us. It's a matter of just doing one step in the tutorial at a time and within minutes (less than an hour for sure) you will have a basic functional app. 

Best to you.

Yes, many of the App Creators are doing just that.  You can get a great functional app by simply providing the data sheets you need and then tweaking some of the columns to use data of the type you are interested in e.g. Price for Price columns, Name for Name columns, Address for addresses, etc.  All with any coding.

But note that AppSheet has great flexibility to perform more advanced features to get the most out of your apps.  For those you will need to become familiar with AppSheets expressions and how to build them.   Some refer to this as coding, though you are not really writing lines of source code, because it requires a certain understanding of logical operations. 

But fret not!!  There is a great Community here to help you with your questions, just like this one!!!!

Thanks. I am working on a health App--
John Boyter
www.johnboyter.com / johnboyter.medium.com

US Nr. (1) 305 921 0807
300 S. Biscayne Blvd
Met 1 Unit 416
33131 Miami, United States

Home Address
Sejrs Alle 41
8240 Risskov
Aarhus, Denmark
Cel.: +45 20 66 32 44

Health App is a pretty broad category. But to reiterate, it will depend on what you want the app to do or be for your user base. 

As @WillowMobileSys said, how you develop in Google AppSheet isn't technically classified as "coding", but that depends on your level of expertise with "coding" and of course the level of complexity your app requires.

If it is more than a stand-alone spreadsheet-based app where you simply capture, present, add, change, delete rows of data, then you will most likely have to deal with some level of "logical" thinking beyond what is required to create a basic app.

But don't over think it. 

Another area of concern for a Health App is the Overarching Legal Governance the Health App may need to adhere to some level of compliance. For example:

• WHERE: Where will the app be used -- meaning what country?
    Some countries and industries have requirements for how data must be handled or should be handled. This is simply about risk management. 

• WHAT: What kinds of data will the app host or be required to interact with?
    If you are thinking of hosting personal health, personally identifiable info, or financial related info .. then there may be additional governance and compliance items to consider.

• SECURITY: how will the app be accessed and what level of data access will you offer to whom, and will you require data encryption for data at-rest (saved) or in-flight (being transmitted), and so on...

BUT...

• is it possible to build without coding? Yes.
  • will you need to understand basic logic, for example:
         IF this_condition THEN respond_in_this_way? --- Yes
         WHEN this_event THEN do_action? --- Yes
  • will you need to understand how to use spreadsheet-like functions and formulas? --- Maybe (depends on your app requirements)

If you understand:

• WHAT you want the APP to do ---and---
  • WHAT you need at various steps in your workflow --
  • THEN absolutely "you" can build a highly-useful app. 

....in my humble opinion.

Itโ€™s around wellness, exercise, personal development and working remotely.
So nothing medical.

--
John Boyter
www.johnboyter.com / johnboyter.medium.com

US Nr. (1) 305 921 0807
300 S. Biscayne Blvd
Met 1 Unit 416
33131 Miami, United States

Home Address
Sejrs Alle 41
8240 Risskov
Aarhus, Denmark
Cel.: +45 20 66 32 44

My App will be developed in a company I have in Miami Boyter Commercial LLC. I call it for now Boyter Island which is the name of my company in the Dominican Republic Boyter Island SRL where I was living before. I have the domain anyway and using it for Google Workspace so to save money. I just moved back to Denmark after 20 years. To begin with the App will only be offered in the US. Potentially I can work with freelancers in the DR which I have experience with already. I don't expect the App to be of much value to begin with. So a free App. I write a blog and articles on my blog site www.johnboyter.com and on social media and Medium and LinkedIn so will do all my own marketing. 

Another thought is that the Google AppSheet platform also offers some easy-start templates which you might find useful in getting your app kickstarted.

https://www.appsheet.com/templates

Top Labels in this Space