Notify employees birthdays

Hi everyone,

I want to create a notification that appears everytime today marks the birthday of an employee. How can I do so and be able to make the message include the name of the person?

Thanks!

0 7 1,369
7 REPLIES 7

Do the following:

1. Create a table called โ€œBirthdaysโ€ that containing one row for each person.
  2. Each โ€œBirthdaysโ€ record would contain the personโ€™s Name, BirthDate as a Date, and Email address.
  3. Create a Report (scheduled rule) that runs each day at a time you specify.
  4. In the Report specify the โ€œBirthdaysโ€ table as the input and select โ€œFor Each Row In Tableโ€.
  5. In the Condition specify [BirthDate] = TODAY()

Thanks Phil!

Is there a way to taylor the birthday message with the name of the birthday person? Something like: โ€œHappy Birthday [First Name]!โ€

Sure. The Report (scheduled rule) includes a template that allows you to format the message you sendโ€ฆ
In the template you can use field values from the โ€œBirthdaysโ€ record including the Name field.
That allows you to include the personโ€™s Name or other information from the โ€œBirthdaysโ€ record.

Thanks again Phil, one last question: Google Sheets sets the date with a year, I would have to change the year of the birthday column every new years eve. Is there a way to make Appsheets to only focus in the day and month in the formula?

You might want to read through the date expression help.

You could probably write an expression that simply compared the Month and Day values for equality.

Zarach

Brand new here and also brand new to spreadsheetsโ€“but I do have google drive access to create their docs and sheets. Iโ€™m not certain if this is the appropriate place to post my question or notโ€“but it looks like this thread is similar to what I need to do. My issue: Iโ€™m attempting to make time management, project coordination, between volunteers but the difficult part is those volunteers are using two different time reckoning systems that I have to figure out how to keep them coordinated with one another. This gets complicated to someone unfamiliar with the second time keeping system, but it is not complicated at all; it just runs on different rules than the one everyone else is used to using in terms of time/calendar. This would also require me (Iโ€™m assuming??) to publish a new version each start of the new second systemโ€™s months as they donโ€™t begin with anything which can be cued from the normal time/calendar system people are using here.

Guessing I need to be able to set some values some how for each new month on the second system and coordinate it with the normal calendar system so that the app would coordinate once DAY 1 of the second time keeping system was established when that month began, coordinating with the normal calendar, say with the month beginning for example on, July 3, 2019; Then the second calendar system would follow its normal rules so that due dates and project timing can be coordinated by either time keeping system.

Any ideas about how to best go about doing that? If so, it would be greatly appreciated. I"m seeing this Birthday notification would be GREAT to push notifications out about other dates of interest including birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc. and may even solve the issue of letting both calendar keeping teams know each otherโ€™s calendar at a glance, but Iโ€™m not certain?

Example:
July 3: Day 1
July 4: Day 2
July 5: Day 3โ€ฆ
July 31: Day 28โ€ฆ
etc

Top Labels in this Space