Now that we have Lines & Polygons..... I hav...

Now that we have Lines & Polygonsโ€ฆ

I have a table with about 300 rows. Each row has its own kml that displays a single line feature. How might I go about displaying each rowโ€™s individual KML?

In other words, I do not want to see one map displaying each of the 300 lines. I would rather each line be displayed on a separate map view. Much like the display of an address or lat long column.

@praveen @Peter

1 5 1,023
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Michael, first, we donโ€™t really have lines or polygons like a GIS does. We just have the ability to define a (single) KML file associated with a geographic-type column. So it is useful for things like showing a KML overlay for a map view.

That said, the rest of your question is still relevant โ€” how do you show a view that has 300 maps, each showing a single pin for a single row, instead of a single map with 300 pins on it.

We have something coming soon that will let you โ€œgroupโ€ any view and show one display for each group. So for example, if the 300 rows were grouped by state, youโ€™d get one map display for each state with all the pins from that state shown on it. @Morgan_Dixon_AppShee FYI

@praveen I understand that AppSheet doesnโ€™t actually process the lines and polygons but rather displays the kml where those features are defined.

โ€œWe just have the ability to define a (single) KML file associated with a geographic-type columnโ€ฆโ€

The idea I have is similar to what is used for displaying LatLong columns from detail views. When LatLong columns are displayed from within a detail view, a small map image is displayed. Clicking this map image takes the user to a system generated map view displaying the latlong point.

Could not the same method be used for displaying the KML defined for that row?

Iโ€™m not sure how this new grouping feature would be useful for this purpose. I would like to avoid displaying multiple lines in the same view.

I see. In order to do what youโ€™re saying, we should be able to pick up the KML from a column and show it on the map. In other words, weโ€™ll need a KML column type. Unfortunately, we donโ€™t have that now. It is doable, but the KML support we have at the moment is actually just a refinement at the level of the LatLong and Address column type definition. In otherwords, at the moment, you can specify a single KML for all values in a column, not a separate KML for each row.

@praveen Rather than creating another column, could the address or latlong columns be made to interpret an kml link much the same way address and coordinates are interpreted now? Obviously I have very limited knowledge of the work that would be required to make this an option or the creation of another column type but, at a glance, this seems to be the easiest option.

To clarify the suggestion โ€” you want to put a link to a KML file in an Address or LatLong column. And then it would be shown as a polygon rather than as a point. Is that right?

I guess we could do that, but it would mess up a lot of things. For example, expressions involving LatLongs would no longer work, etc. So if we are to do this, itโ€™s better that we add a separate column type.

Top Labels in this Space