On Action ask for PIN

Would it be possible that when an action is run, that action produces a popup that asks for a PIN. If that PIN matches a stored PIN against a user database, the action will run, if not the action will not run?

Just thinking about the INPUT() function and stored PIN numbers.

Just thinking of a way where a shared handset without the need for people to log in and out.

Solved Solved
0 8 62
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

The trouble is the action is using the menu data(R/O) and the PIN is using the User Data (R/W).

So I have to run an action which runs 2 actions

Action 1 - Record Input of PIN - This has to run a separate Reference action on the User Data to record the pin which it does.

Action 2 - To view the Menu item if the PIN matches which it does.

Issue 1 - The previous attempt always shows because that is what is currently stored.

Issue 2 - If I try and resolve that by putting in [Attempt] = "" at the start it doesn't store the recorded input.

View solution in original post

I managed to find a solution which was to create a 3rd action which ran before the first 2. That 3rd action would wipe the PIN so I now have a solution to the problem. If you want guidance or help please let me know.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Yes, INPUT() function is the way to have actions that ask for users input. Just take into account please that AppSheet do not provide any secure way to handle logins for users. Users have to login through individual email accounts from the supported login providers, and developers are not allowed to circumvent this by storing passwords (or PINs) into an app's database.

This PIN will only be used for running action. We have over 600 users, it's just in case someone picks up a device and it is still logged in and the previous user has not logged out. It would be nice if Appsheet would bow to the numerous posts and update the platform to have a auto logout.

So I have used this as a simple test and it doesn't work, nothing happens, it doesn't POPUP and ask. Any help?

Behaviour - Only if this condition is true:

INPUT("PIN",TEXT(""))="1234"

So I am checking if the input = "1234"

Unfortunately you cannot use INPUT() in expressions and at the same time display a prompt to the user. Instead, use INPUT() to simply write the value in a column then compare the value of this column with your condition.

I would then need to clear the inputed data when an action runs to clear it again. If the inputed PIN remains in the column then it would always run the action wouldn't it. I was hoping that the INPUT would simply ask for the PIN, compare the input and if it matches run the action. Doesn't seem that straight forward.

You can set your action to first: reset the column, then: ask your users for input. This is what I could think of. 

The trouble is the action is using the menu data(R/O) and the PIN is using the User Data (R/W).

So I have to run an action which runs 2 actions

Action 1 - Record Input of PIN - This has to run a separate Reference action on the User Data to record the pin which it does.

Action 2 - To view the Menu item if the PIN matches which it does.

Issue 1 - The previous attempt always shows because that is what is currently stored.

Issue 2 - If I try and resolve that by putting in [Attempt] = "" at the start it doesn't store the recorded input.

I managed to find a solution which was to create a 3rd action which ran before the first 2. That 3rd action would wipe the PIN so I now have a solution to the problem. If you want guidance or help please let me know.

Top Labels in this Space