Open Form & Populate One Field Using QR Code

Desired functionality:

Allow any civilian at a public park to scan a QR code located on a given facility to register a complaint.  When scanning the QR code, the form is opened on the civilian's phone via a URL (App link to desired form, check), and some text within the QR code auto populates a field within the form, designating the facility where the QR code was located.

App Design:

Stand alone app solely dedicated to receiving complaints.  This app would have one database, one form, and no user sign-in required.

Question:

Can a the QR code contain both the App link to the form, as well as data to auto populate the given field?

Solved Solved
0 5 1,092
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It was my QR code generator.  I used a different provider and it all works.  Thanks again.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Yes, I believe you can.  You would need to implement the app URL to the form such that the default values are included in the URL.

The way I start with this is to create a LINKTOFORM() action and then run it in the Browser.  This will give a URL I can copy and mimic for inclusion in the QR Code.

As an example, in a test app I have i created an action with this expression:

LINKTOFORM("Children_Form", "Parent", [_THISROW], "Child Name", "Test JGB", "Description", "Just a test")

Exercising this action while in the Browser produced this encoded URL when copied:

https://www.appsheet.com/start/2ba82b1c-e819-44b8-b499-7109b19e6c4a#control=Children_Form&defaults=%7B%22Parent%22%3A%221%22%2C%22Child%20Name%22%3A%22Test%20JGB%22%2C%22Description%22%3A%22Just%20a%20test%22%7D&page=form 

The text in red are key parts to pay attention to.  They are the column names and arguments sent to the Form View.

It looks like this in the address bar:

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 11.19.41 AM.png

I hope this helps!

Ah, this is great!  Thank you.  But there is one issue I can't figure out.

I can click on a generated URL and have the web page populate everything correctly, BUT I cannot get a QR code that I've generated to auto populate on my phone when scanning the QR code.  It will take me to the form, but not auto populate.

I can text the URL to my phone and have it open and populate correctly, but I cannot scan the QR code and have it auto populate.  Could this be a QR code resolution issue, or QR code type issue?  or are there mobile browser security settings that would block auto populating the form from a QR code?  Maybe I'm missing something basic.

@tlewis wrote:

I can text the URL to my phone and have it open and populate correctly, but I cannot scan the QR code and have it auto populate.  Could this be a QR code resolution issue, or QR code type issue?  or are there mobile browser security settings that would block auto populating the form from a QR code?  Maybe I'm missing something basic.

Just to make sure I understand, you can use the same exact URL in a QR Code, defaulted values and all, and it will open the Form but NOT with the pre-populated values?

I guess when I think back, I have not used QR Codes in this way.  I am not aware of any security blocks that would prevent this and I see no reason why there needs to be. 

I think you need to run this by AppSheet support.

Correct.  Here is the URL.  Do you notice anything strange?

I may try another QR code generator to see if that solves anything.  Either way, thanks for your help on this question.  You've been great.

https://www.appsheet.com/start/670026e4-568c-4db3-89c6-a724544afc05#control=Communications&defaults=...

It was my QR code generator.  I used a different provider and it all works.  Thanks again.

Top Labels in this Space