Overlay Button Question

After reading a couple of related posts here on overlay buttons and various issues with them, I tried to set up a โ€œsend my locationโ€ overlay button using the โ€œHERE()โ€ formula inside an action to send a text messageโ€ฆ

Do only certain kinds of buttons work as overlays? This one will not show up, and thus far Iโ€™ve only seen the โ€œadd, delete, editโ€ options really work.

0 9 116
9 REPLIES 9

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @Ryan_Wagner

this is an option:

Thanks for the reply. I have it set to that already, and tried deselecting and reselecting it, too, but no luckโ€ฆIs it a bug?

It depends on where you want the button to be displayed.
For example, on Dashboard view type, they are hidden by default.
You need to go in UX/Options/Dashboard View, then check โ€œShow overlay actions in dashboardsโ€

Can you give more context or screenshot ?

Ah, you know whatโ€ฆmaybe it is because Iโ€™m trying to get them to show up in the map viewโ€ฆ?
In the other views, they seem to work.

is the map view based on the table where the HERE() value is supposed to be stored ? (just in caseโ€ฆeven if it seems obvious )

It is. At least, I believe so? The map view is based on the table I am using for everythingโ€ฆPardon my lack of knowledge. Iโ€™m very new to the platformโ€ฆ

We all start somewhere
At least, you took time to look into the documentation. Everyone does not do it

Can you provide:

• a screenshot of the action settings ?
  • a screenshot of the view settings ?

Thanks for the screenshot

At answering you, I understand that was not exactly clear in my head, I just understood the subtle (but obvious now) difference.

You have two types of actions:

• โ€œrow level actionโ€ ==> can be overlay on a Detail view type
  • โ€œnot a row-level actionโ€ ==> can be overlay on a Table or Deck view type (for example)

3X_4_a_4ad904191b81cccce6747c50780aabff130874c7.png

So, if my understanding is correct, your action cannot be displayed on a map view, which displays the whole table like a Table or deck would do it as well.

I think you will need to use a workaround if you really want to send a text message.

However, you may want to use:

• the โ€œaddโ€ action to add a new row with location, as the Add action is not a row-level action
  • or an action like โ€œopen a form to add a new row to this tableโ€, with some combination of auto-save (in the form options) and initial value (donโ€™t know if that will work, I did not try this trick yet).

Let us know if that works for you

Top Labels in this Space