Pivot table aggregation using AppSheet

Hey folks,

I have two tables: employees, and tasks.
3X_9_8_98568d72b8657af11d7c8cff219c28d42add52fc.png

I basically want to have a view that summarises the capacities of each employee, by week, based on the tasks that they have assigned to them. This is very easily done using a pivot table in sheets

However, obviously, this isnโ€™t the best idea as it offloads the logic and calculations to the spreadsheet, which isnโ€™t best practice. Iโ€™d like to use a formula or some sort of system to โ€˜bulidโ€™ a table that would be able to summarise week, person, and capacity.

Ultimately, even a table like this would be super useful to generate

Many thanks in advance, everyone.

0 4 167
4 REPLIES 4

If the understanding of your requirement is correct, there may not be exactly the pivot table view that you desire but you could possibly take a look at group by Week , followed by Person in a table view and group aggregate for this table view could be SUM: Used Capacity or AVG: Order Capacity

In case of aggregate by SUM: the first group by of used capacity by weeks will be just arithmatic sum of all individual capacities.

Hi @Suvrutt_Gurjar

This is alright, but there are two significant caveats:

1. The [Week, Person, Capacity] table still needs to be built. I havenโ€™t found a way to do this automatically without using Google Sheets formulas.
  2. Grouping by two levels means the information isnโ€™t available in a singular view. A user has to โ€˜click inโ€™ to a week, and then they are greeted with the capacity per person. A core requirement is to have an all-encompassing view so we can see clearly what employees are working on a per-week basis, and how busy they are with it.

Hi @Wiktor_Jurek
Yes, as mentioned, it will not be an exact pivot table. There will be some compromises.

Not sure why you mention this. If the Google sheet table โ€œTasksโ€ is included in the AppSheet , I believe you could build a table view based on it with groupings as suggested.

Another option , again not exactly like a pivot table will be

1. Create a slice on the Tasks table with an expression something like

[Tasks Table Key]= MINROW( โ€œTasksโ€, โ€œ_ROWNUMBERโ€, AND( [Person]=[_THISROW].[Person], [Week]=[_THISROW].[Week]))

1. If there are more than one tasks per person per week, you may need to add the โ€œUser Capacityโ€ by person by week in another expression in a VC to create an [Aggregated Used Capcity by Person Per Week]

2. Display the slice in a table view with the column order as [Week], [Person] and [Aggregated Used Capcity by Person Per Week]

A point to note is that multirow expressions in VCs ( point 2 above ) could impact sync times. But Pivot by its very nature will involve some aggregation.

Top Labels in this Space