Problem with adding new tables from data source

Until recently I was able to add new tables from Sheets in the app that Iโ€™m a co-author. But suddenly the option was gone, please see the image below. Was there any changes regarding this or am I missing something?

0 13 532
13 REPLIES 13

Hi @Jsenn
Are the sheets shared with you?

Yes, it is shared with me.

Another thing I notice is I can still add table using the โ€œsuggestionโ€ beside the Add New Table button.

I think the restrictions for team-data sources has beenโ€ฆ enforced; perhaps it wasnโ€™t 100% before and now it is.

Looks like the person who owns the app needs to share their data sources with the team

Thanks for the information. Iโ€™m still confused though. Just a background regarding our setup. Iโ€™m the one creating the apps using a free account, when it is ready for deployment I transfer the ownership to another account where it will be deployed. The data resides in a shared Google drive folder which is associated to the Appsheetโ€™s account where all the apps are deployed. Once it is deployed I manage and update tables as a co-author. Until a couple of days ago I was able to that but now I canโ€™t.

I was reading through different articles and found about Team Shared Data Source.

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/954445-shared-authoring-of-apps

According in this article co-authors can only add tables if it is from a Team Shared Data Source so that might really be the case now. As far as I can tell this is an Enterprise feature and we are only running on a Pro plan but its weird that we were able to do what we are doing until now.

I also found this under My Account.

We tried to add a data source in the Pro account but nothing changes, it still says โ€œ+ New Data Sourceโ€. At this point I still have no idea where to go and Iโ€™m not sure if the above is related to our current concern.

How do you guys manage and update your deployed apps as a co-author?

As someone whoโ€™s been a full-time AppSheet consultant for 5 years now, being able to add data sources to an app thatโ€™s shared with you has never really been a thing. It might have worked once and a while, but adding a new data source has always been restricted to the โ€œowner accountโ€ of the app.

You could add tablesโ€ฆ from a data source already connected, but you couldnโ€™t add new data sources.

When this situation arises, I either:

1. Get the person whoโ€™s the owner of the app to add the new data source; or
  2. Get the credentials to the account and add the data source myself.

When I build apps for clients, Iโ€™ll start a new gmail account specifically for that app; name is something like:
Apps_Name.app@gmail.com

This way anyone who needs access to the backend can be given the credentials without compromising anyoneโ€™s security or accounts, everything is housed under one account one drive, etc.

I apologize if I was not clear. What you said was what Iโ€™m trying to say. Normally this is what I can see when adding tables.

Now this is the only thing that appears when adding a new table.

For now Iโ€™m able to add the new tables through the suggestion, its a bit weird I would say but at least it works for now.

3X_f_c_fc2773e8dc8dd1483694614fcf2560423edcdba1.png

Apologies, I misunderstood.

Indeedโ€ฆ this is a bug. Reporting to support now.

Any updates here? we have the same issue

Iโ€™m still seeing this issue too

@Steve maybe you could do a little investigation through back channels? haha

Escalated.

My man

3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Iโ€™m told that anyone that wants the old behavior restored must request it. Please contact support@appsheet.com.

Top Labels in this Space