REF Action not showing even thought source is same table

Hi All. I am trying to track down inconsistent Action behavior and wondered if anyone has tipsโ€ฆ

I have a table that feeds two slices. And I have two gallery views with the same setup, but each use a different one of the two slices as the source.

Each of the the two slices have the same columns. The first slice has row filter of
[Active]=โ€œTRUEโ€, and the second slice has row filter of AND([Active]=โ€œTRUEโ€,KAM_email]=USEREMAIL()). Thatโ€™s the only difference I can see.

When I access the two views on browser or mobile, the first slice/view shows the related record Action symbol properly.
2X_9_9a6d008c2a5347e31054a7f83af8f7ad4ca487bf.png

When I access second slice/view, the data shows properly but the related record Action is missing.
2X_7_7f904741d50716c4bb94783628e270a95883d23a.png

As the โ€œView Refโ€ actions were system generated, I tried adding another manually, and that showed a second ref action on the first view, but again nothing on the second view.

Anybody have any idea why the Action may not show in the second view? I must be missing something obviousโ€ฆ

Solved Solved
0 5 874
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Mike What do you have in the Slices actions?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Mike What do you have in the Slices actions?

OMG @Lynn - that would be funny. I checked everything else so well but canโ€™t remember if I missed the actions selection for the second slice โ€ฆ duh! Will check later and let you know. Feeling a bit stupid!

I really wish there was a way to download exact configurations so i could do a side-by-side compare (like text difference highlighting). Visual inspection is way too error prone. With so many possible configurations, a way to save configuration documentation and compare diffs would be very useful for dummies like me .
You can download the app configurations (APP Documentation section), but the document is very hard to work with without a way for computer quick search and compare. Also, from what I could see, it does not seem to include all configurations for things like Slices and Actions

UPDATE: @Lynn - wellโ€ฆ color me embarrassed!
The first slice has actions set to *auto, and the second had actions explicitly defined (which of course did not include the Ref actions I was wanting). The simplest things can really trip you upโ€ฆ Thanks for recommending that!

@Mike Thats great you got it sorted.

This.

I remember reading this thread before I had my own issue. It turns out I made the same mistake, even though reading this thread beforehand should have helped me avoid it. Of course, a major cause of my problem was my own inability to apply what I should have learned here to a similar situation that I encountered. Still, if people like @Mike and me, who are not exactly new to AppSheet, can get tripped up by this I think thatโ€™s evidence that it would behoove AppSheet to do something to either help people avoid the error in the first place or to discover it more quickly. Iโ€™m not exactly sure how the compare diffs would work but I really do think that better debugging tools are needed.

Top Labels in this Space