Ref Dropdown Acting Funny? Is it misconfigured?

Hereโ€™s some context. My app is about sheep. The table Iโ€™m in, โ€œTop Level Dataโ€, has many records where each row is a record of a sheep and each column is different attributes of the sheep. The label for each row is the โ€œTagโ€ of the sheep and each has a unique ID for a key. The particular column in the app iโ€™m interested in is a dropdown menu where you can select the โ€˜sireโ€™ or father for the sheep record. The โ€˜sireโ€™ value is just going to be another sheep/record from the same table. For that reason this โ€˜sireโ€™ column is listed as a โ€˜refโ€™ type with no formula and the referenced table is the same table, โ€œTop Level Dataโ€.

How I expected it to work was that when adding a new sheep record I could click the โ€˜sireโ€™ dropdown in the app, select a sheep by its tag/label and the source/table/spreadsheet would populate on the back-end with the key related to that row referenced. This way, when someone is looking at a sheeps record at a later date they could click on the โ€˜sireโ€™ listed and it would redirect them to that record.

That is ALMOST whatโ€™s happening. For whatever reason, in the app, when you go to add a record and you click the sire column, you CAN select any of the โ€˜tagsโ€™/labels for any sheep in the table HOWEVER in the back end the source table/sheet is populating with that โ€˜tagโ€™/label value rather than the key. So itโ€™s not linking to anything.

Im confused about this because as far as I understand, when you have a column designated as a ref column it utilizes the label for app selection but it ACTUALLY populates with the key for that table. Why is that not happening here? Did I misconfigure something or is it a bug?

0 3 270
3 REPLIES 3

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Please post a screenshot of the tableโ€™s column list that includes both the key and the label columns.

Please also post a screenshot of the configuration screen for the sire column.

Finally, if there is a Valid If expression for the sire column, please also post a screenshot of it in its entirety.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Thank you for the screenshots!

I, too, am confused! Your configuration looks correct, so I donโ€™t know why youโ€™re experiencing the behavior you are. Iโ€™m afraid Iโ€™m going to have to refer you to support@appsheet.com for a deeper look. If you would, please let us know here what the support team finds.

Top Labels in this Space