Ref using Unique text vs UUID

Is there any meaningful difference in speed when making refs with a uuid (or just 8 char version) vs just using unique text as the key? For instance, this would be used on a many to many lookup table to ref to Roles and Personnel.

Is lookup table of ids reffing to the tables the ideal way to do a many to many? I've also seen enumlists with add & remove on that kinda turn a cell in the row into an array w/ automated actions on both sides keeping things correct. I'm told the second way may be faster and more stable... but it's a pain to set up.

Solved Solved
0 1 89
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The 8 character output of UNIQUEID() is "unique text", so not super sure exactly what you're asking. But either way, I'd doubt there's any significant speed difference.

Is lookup table of ids reffing to the tables the ideal way to do a many to many?

In many cases, yes, a "bridge" or "join" table is the ideal way to set it up. It's certainly the proper "normalized" way to set up such a data structure. In other cases, using EnumLists is good too. Really just depends on what you're building.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

The 8 character output of UNIQUEID() is "unique text", so not super sure exactly what you're asking. But either way, I'd doubt there's any significant speed difference.

Is lookup table of ids reffing to the tables the ideal way to do a many to many?

In many cases, yes, a "bridge" or "join" table is the ideal way to set it up. It's certainly the proper "normalized" way to set up such a data structure. In other cases, using EnumLists is good too. Really just depends on what you're building.

Top Labels in this Space