Ref with UNIQUEID() Issue

Ok I have a REF in a form. It 's working but when the output occurs it adds info from a different area where i have a UNIQUEID() located. Iโ€™d like the REF information to come over to the sheet, not the UNIQUEID().

Any help?
Here is the data:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bePpNeOhKli9YJpqMuNYMt6eaC2Z4tsWJeO1yTY3p7g/edit?usp=sharing

0 12 644
12 REPLIES 12

When you create a REF column, the value thatโ€™s actually used in the sheet is the ID from the table the ref is set to.

For instance, if I have the following tables:

• Customers, and
  • Orders;

and in the Orders table I have a Ref column to the customer - the value stored in the Order table will be the value Iโ€™ve set as the key for the customer (not the name, label, description, etc).

If you wish to additionally store the customer name (for easy spreadsheet identification), youโ€™ll need to create an additional field to store this info - you can easily pull any information from a reference using whatโ€™s called a de-reference.

Ok I get that but why is the reference showing up but the output is adding a different value

So like: why does it look like this:
2X_5_523a2036acd96333d96a8f73d407585e1073c188.png
in the app, but this:
2X_3_3ef60bc2ece482b401000732727929cfc8fdf7cd.png
in the sheet?

That has to do with the labels of your tableโ€ฆ

In this image you can see the Base_Time_Link is a ref to the Base_Times table:

In the Base_Times table, I have the DateTime specified as the โ€œLabelโ€

This is why you see the DateTime in the app and not the UniqueID().

No.

I have a class registration for instructors to create classes.

The REF I have is set up to be a drop down for student registration to the class an instructor created.
The REF is working.

The problem is itโ€™s output of the data is a uniqueid i have in the Class Registration form.

What do you want it to be?

This is the REF data displayed:

As @MultiTech_Visions shared, thatโ€™s is just how Refโ€™s work for storing. That UNIQUEID value saved in the column is how you can access anything about it.

What is stored in the raw spreadsheet source should not be considered โ€œoutputโ€.

I like to think about references like this:

Itโ€™s not a value thatโ€™s stored in the column, itโ€™s a folder - the folder containing all the data for that reference.

Say the ref is to the Customer table, then the reference column is like a folder with all the data from that customer inside it.

From there, I can easily pull anything out of the folder (aka, de-reference any columnโ€™s value from the customer table):

[Customer_Ref].[Related Customer_Orders] = โ€œA list of all the orders from that customerโ€
[Customer_Ref].[Customer_Name] = โ€œThe name of the customerโ€
etc.

I like that. I think that metaphor would be a good addition to the support documentation about them.

The REF data not the Unique

This is the output:

Thatโ€™s how references work.

2X_1_1b5dbd217b04ac9c21977c35716c0e6b48d8eec6.png

If you wish to store the data displayed here:
2X_a_a307dd327234f516e3f7d522f1678a1f0ab23a31.png

Youโ€™ll need to create an additional column to hold that info; you can use a de-reference formula to pull that value from your ref column.

Top Labels in this Space