Request help setting up automation and / or reconfiguring my database to better suit my use cases

I am creating an AppSheet for the purpose of tracking employee training at an industrial site.  The name of this app is Maintenance Qualification Standard (MQS). 

The idea is that we have a number of employees and a number of systems that we all have to work on, and each employee has to be trained on a system before they can work on said system.  Since the number of systems close to equal the number of employees, each one of us has chosen a system and become an expert in that system.  For the system that an employee is an expert in, they have created a standard list of items for training a non-expert.  Let's call each item on a list a 'Standard' and let's call a Standard tied to a specific employee a 'Checkout'. As the non-expert completes these Checkouts, the expert will mark each Checkout complete with a signature and a date.  One an employee has completed all their Checkouts for a system, they are now able to do work on that system.

So, if we have A number of employees, and B number of Standards across all systems, the total number of all checkouts is equal to  A x B, one Checkout for each standard for each employee.  Below is a ERD of my current DB layout:

Copy MQS.png

So here is my dilemma.  For each Checkout, I need a date and the expert that signed it (Card Signer) so I have created a table just for Checkouts.  Since there is one check for each Employee for each Standard, the combination of the these to attributes is the primary key of my Checkouts table.  But, I have new employees that are being hired.  Right now I have to copy and paste to manually add a blank set of Checkouts for a new employee.  Is there a way to automate the addition of B number of Checkouts, one for each standard, for the addition of a new employee?  What if I update the Standards table?  Is there a way to add a new checkout for each employee that is tide to that Standard?

So that is my ask.  Is there a way to automate the creation of new checkouts for a newly added employee to the employee table, one for each Standard (and vise versa for a new standard) or should I change the data base to a different layout? 

0 2 110
2 REPLIES 2

Seems like you need to handle loops on each form save,  to create as many checkouts as standards there are based on how many aren't made for the current employee and the same for standards form, create as many checkouts as employees that aren't tied to the current standard based on the related checkouts list.

This video should help you with it:
Looping with Actions (in Under 2 Minutes) - YouTube

Side note: Which drawing tool are you using? I need to layout some DBs

Lucid Chat.  I am trying out this video and its instructions now.  I might have some more questions if can figure out how to create a list of all keys in a DB on a table and loop through them.  I will update soon.  Thanks for the help.

Top Labels in this Space