Restrict Update to record-owner

HCF

Hi, I want to restrict the possibilities for update of a specific record, such that only the owner(creator) can edit. Others should still be able to view in read_only mode.
Thanks for any help!

Solved Solved
0 8 787
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi ,

On rereading your requirement, it sounds that you wish to have record level edit control by the owner of the record , whoever created it rather than table level permissions.

One of the methods (controlling which actions user can invoke) described in the first article referred above. ( Limiting users to Particular Tables, Views and Actions)

If so, I believe that in the system edit action condition of the table, you could add [Creator]=USEREMAIL()

Please refer the last post in the below thread to find the system actions.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Please take a look at the following help articles.

The below topic is also somewhat related if you wish to restrict at device level the records reaching according to user roles.

HCF

Hi, I tried:
SWITCH(USEREMAIL(),
"[Creator], โ€œUPDATES_ONLYโ€,
โ€œREAD_ONLYโ€)
where Creator is the UserEmail() entered when a new record is created.
Didnโ€™t work though.

Could you describe , how many creators you are likely to have and what is the [Creator] column type -is it an email type column ? Is it in the same table as where you are trying those expressions?

If you have just one or two creators, you could try an expression something like below

SWITCH(USEREMAIL(),
"creator1@mydomain.com", โ€œUPDATES_ONLYโ€,
"creator2@mydomain.com", โ€œALL_CHANGESโ€,
โ€œREAD_ONLYโ€)

In the above creator 1 will have updates permission only and creator 2 will have update, delete and add permissions. Rest of the app users will have read only access.

The above is just an example. You will need to use some combinations to AND() , OR() to combine emails depending and probably to pull emails from other tables if you have another user table depending on your needs.

Hi ,

On rereading your requirement, it sounds that you wish to have record level edit control by the owner of the record , whoever created it rather than table level permissions.

One of the methods (controlling which actions user can invoke) described in the first article referred above. ( Limiting users to Particular Tables, Views and Actions)

If so, I believe that in the system edit action condition of the table, you could add [Creator]=USEREMAIL()

Please refer the last post in the below thread to find the system actions.

That did the trick, thank you!

please where did you insert this?

Inside Edit IF?

Yes, the [Creator] is an email type column.
There is only one creator and its the same table were I try to set the expression.

Top Labels in this Space