Return value of a row in a column nested

I tried searching, but canโ€™t seem to find the exact circumstance, so Iโ€™m reaching out here. Please bear with me Iโ€™m using the TableName[ColumnName] format for clearer understanding

short version:
need all row values of TableC[INV Num] when:
value of row TableC[TableB KEYID] equals โ€œXโ€

โ€œXโ€ equals the TableB[KEY ID] when TableA[KEY ID] equals โ€œYโ€
โ€œYโ€ equals the TableA[KEY ID] when on [_THISROW]

TL/DR:
I have 3 tables. In TableA, I am trying to get the values of every row in Table C where the value of a certain column matches the value of a column in TableB, which in turn, matches a column in TableA.

Iโ€™ve made a sample of how this all translates back into Excel, and I just need a little help figuring out the expressions to use. The real tables have multiple columns that arenโ€™t represented here because they are unimportant to the issue at hand. Thank you!

2X_9_923475f9d75af3bd721c43c3959f46b9ad56c580.png

Solved Solved
0 3 785
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

The App formula expression for INV NUM column of TableA (untested):

SELECT(
  TableC[INV NUM],
  IN(
    [TableB KEYID],
    SELECT(
      TableB[KEY ID],
      ([TableA KEY ID] = [_THISROW].[KEY ID])
    )
  ),
  TRUE
)
  1. SELECT(TableC[INV NUM], ..., TRUE) gathers a List of distinct INV NUM column values from TableC that match the given criteria (..., see (2)). If you donโ€™t want distinct values, preferring duplicates be preserved when they occur, omit TRUE or replace with FALSE.

2. IN([TableB KEYID], ...) selects only those rows with a TableB KEYID column value that occurs in the given list (..., see (3)).

3. SELECT(TableB[KEY ID], ...) gathers a List of KEY ID column values from the TableB table that match the given criteria (..., see (4)).

4. ([TableA KEY ID] = [_THISROW].[KEY ID]) selects only those rows with a TableA KEY ID column value that matches this rowโ€™s KEY ID column value. As the entire expression (1) is run from TableA, โ€œthis rowโ€ refers to a row in TableA. If the TableA KEY ID column value in TableB might be blank, wrap ([TableA KEY ID] = [_THISROW].[KEY ID]) with AND(ISNOTBLANK([[TableA KEY ID]]), ...).

See also: IN(), SELECT()

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

The App formula expression for INV NUM column of TableA (untested):

SELECT(
  TableC[INV NUM],
  IN(
    [TableB KEYID],
    SELECT(
      TableB[KEY ID],
      ([TableA KEY ID] = [_THISROW].[KEY ID])
    )
  ),
  TRUE
)
  1. SELECT(TableC[INV NUM], ..., TRUE) gathers a List of distinct INV NUM column values from TableC that match the given criteria (..., see (2)). If you donโ€™t want distinct values, preferring duplicates be preserved when they occur, omit TRUE or replace with FALSE.

2. IN([TableB KEYID], ...) selects only those rows with a TableB KEYID column value that occurs in the given list (..., see (3)).

3. SELECT(TableB[KEY ID], ...) gathers a List of KEY ID column values from the TableB table that match the given criteria (..., see (4)).

4. ([TableA KEY ID] = [_THISROW].[KEY ID]) selects only those rows with a TableA KEY ID column value that matches this rowโ€™s KEY ID column value. As the entire expression (1) is run from TableA, โ€œthis rowโ€ refers to a row in TableA. If the TableA KEY ID column value in TableB might be blank, wrap ([TableA KEY ID] = [_THISROW].[KEY ID]) with AND(ISNOTBLANK([[TableA KEY ID]]), ...).

See also: IN(), SELECT()

Thank you very much, I will give that a whirl!!

Thank you Steve, it worked like a charm

Top Labels in this Space