SOS: self-dependencies problem

Hi there!

TLDR: Need advice on handling data dependencies. How does AppSheet process updates for rows that depend on the value of previous rows from the same table? Looking for best practices to ensure sequential data integrity during updates.

Full:

I have this app where I'm tracking cash flow in a table. Each row has a value of a period's opening cash balance and closing cash balance. The closing balance of one day should be the opening balance for the next.

(Due to the number of rows and complexity of the formulas I can't do this with virtual columns)

I've set up a bot to update these rows, (using run action on rows and providing the bot with the list of rows that should be updated), but I'm scratching my head over one thing: When the bot updates a row, does it use the most recent balance from the previous row? I'm worried it might be picking up the old value before the bot's update, which would throw everything off.

Does anyone know if AppSheet updates the rows one by one in order, or all at once? How can I make sure that each row gets the latest, updated value from the row before it?

Any advice or experiences shared would be super helpful!

Thanks a bunch! ๐Ÿ™

Solved Solved
0 1 146
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Turned out appsheet updates data all at once. So I solved this by running the same task several times (14 times in mi use-case) within the same bot process, creating this redundancy ensures that the table has the right values. However I don't think this is the most efficient solution.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Turned out appsheet updates data all at once. So I solved this by running the same task several times (14 times in mi use-case) within the same bot process, creating this redundancy ensures that the table has the right values. However I don't think this is the most efficient solution.

Top Labels in this Space