Sample Apps for Automation!

Hi allโ€ฆ I would really like to play around with some โ€˜sample appsโ€™ for โ€˜Automationโ€™. Iโ€™ve been patiently waiting for some of the senior members (or staff) on here to make something public on Automation.

For me, using sample apps are a great way to help understand everything thats going on under the hood!

Sample apps are also a great way to show off โ€˜special featuresโ€™, โ€˜best practicesโ€™ & โ€˜use casesโ€™

0 8 479
8 REPLIES 8

Great suggestion!

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I havenโ€™t found any value in Automation, just complexity. None of its complexity meets any needs I have. Workflows and reports worked just fine for me.

@Brand-It what did you have in mind?

Well I would like to see it in action in a real life use caseโ€ฆ In my case I have an โ€˜Ordersโ€™ app where a customer is chosen, a โ€˜Specification Formโ€™ is completed and a โ€˜Quotationโ€™ is automaticially created.

If this Quote is โ€˜Acceptedโ€™ then this action automaticially creates a โ€˜Work Orderโ€™ which has โ€˜Tasksโ€™ automaticially assigned to each Department (4 departments).
As the Production teams complete their assigned Tasks, management sees a โ€˜liveโ€™ picture of the overall Job Progress.
Some of these Tasks are not assigned until a predecessor has been marked โ€˜Completedโ€™.
When all the Production Tasks are marked โ€˜Completedโ€™, an email is sent to the โ€˜Administratorโ€™ asking for a Delivery docked to be printed & given to โ€˜Dispatchโ€™.
An email is also sent to Dispatch/Delivery Team informing them of the pending delivery
The Delivery Team then arranges & deliverโ€™s the product to the Address taken from the โ€˜Specification Formโ€™

So all the information needed to do this comes from the original โ€˜Specification Formโ€™ (& not a โ€˜Botโ€™ in sight!).

Basicially I designed this app thinking that I was doing all this โ€˜Automationโ€™โ€ฆ then the actual โ€˜Automationโ€™ came & takes over. So, Iโ€™m thinking my app is now inefficient /old technology & I need to integrate or make good use of the new Automation features. The thing is I donโ€™t know where to startโ€ฆ I was hoping to dig through some sample automation apps to see whatโ€™s possible & what I could/should implement.

Not necessarily the way to be thinking about automation.

• Remember: automation is an evolution of workflows & scheduled reports.
    • NOT a replacement for actions

For everything youโ€™ve described, except the email part at the end, everything would be accomplished through actions; itโ€™s only the email part that would need a bot.

Okay, well thats why Iโ€™d really like to see some sample apps that demonstrate the capabilities of Automation. I cannot come up with an idea for Automation if I havenโ€™t even seen it in action myself!

When someone shares a sample app on Automationโ€ฆ Iโ€™ll copy it, study it, think on how I could implement it somewhere into our workflows. Then I copy it & create a new app using my own data. Usually by the time I have all this done I have a good understanding on how everything works together.

I know itโ€™s early days yet butโ€ฆ surely some people must know about the potential advantages in using/ implementing Automationโ€ฆ so lets hear it?

Also the way I see it is that itโ€™s not up to the senior members on here to create sample apps for usโ€ฆ it is the appsheet developers that should take the time and share some sample apps on Automation! Or if they donโ€™t want to do it then, they should work closer with the senior members on here & give them more help & support because the rest of us depend a lot on their help!

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Thanks for bringing this up.

We plan to upgrade the sample apps from using workflows to Bots.

Top Labels in this Space