Sanity Check

Quick Sanity check for me please, these 2 statements are functionally the same right? I mean I drew myself a truth table for each which I havenโ€™t drawn since like 4 yrs ago in sophomore yr of college and they are the same. Yet the first didnโ€™t give the same results as the second in my valid if.
They were each inside of the same select statement*

AND([Department]=[_THISROW].[Department],IF(CONTAINS(USEREMAIL(),โ€œstoreโ€),[L1]<>โ€œit support-corporateโ€,true))

IF(CONTAINS(USEREMAIL(),โ€œstoreโ€), AND([Department]=[_THISROW].[Department],[L1]<>โ€œit support-corporateโ€,true),[Department]=[_THISROW].[Department])

0 12 183
12 REPLIES 12

It seems like they are the same, but only after a brief look. Hereโ€™s an alternative:

AND(
  [Department]=[_THISROW].[Department] ,
  OR(
    CONTAINS(USEREMAIL(),โ€œstoreโ€) ,
    [L1]<>โ€œit support-corporateโ€
    )
  )

That formula is different than mine? I want to only exclude โ€œit support-corporateโ€ if USEREMAIL contains store.

Please state the intended logic in plain English.

Ah yes, slightly misread.
Does adding in NOT() make it correct?

AND(
  OR(
    NOT( CONTAINS(USEREMAIL(),โ€œstoreโ€) ) ,
    )
  )

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Note well the following:

• [Department]=[_THISROW].[Department] is TRUE if [Department] is a blank value or the two values are the same.

• [L1]<>โ€œit support-corporateโ€ is TRUE if [L1] is a blank value or if the two values differ.

So we always want to check if [department]=[Thisrow].[Department]
and if the USEREMAIL contains โ€œstoreโ€ we want to exclude [L1]=โ€œit supโ€ฆโ€

The second formula I posted works just fine, I just couldnโ€™t for the life of me figure out why the first one doesnโ€™t. My expectation now is maybe something to do with blank being true in Appsheet is messing with my thinking of how the logic is working and affected the methods I used to test it.
This is the whole formula for the valid if with my second formula:

AND(
  [Department]=[_THISROW].[Department],
  OR(
    NOT(CONTAINS(USEREMAIL(),โ€œstoreโ€)),
  )
)

We wrote the same expression, must be right!

As for your entire valid_if expression. I think you could actually take advantage of how the equality works if the first term is blank (as Steve just said), to shorten your expression:

SORT( SELECT(
  TicketReasons[L1] ,
  AND(
    OR(
      NOT( CONTAINS(USEREMAIL(),โ€œstoreโ€) ) ,
      )
    )
))

Since that first term of the AND() will be true if [Department] is blank.

@Marc_Dillon
What @Steve wants to emphasize is this:

SORT(
	SELECT(
		TicketReasons[L1] ,
		AND(
			[_THISROW].[Department]=[Department],
			OR(
				NOT(CONTAINS(USEREMAIL(),โ€œstoreโ€)),
				NOT(โ€œit support-corporateโ€ = [L1])
			)
		)
	)
)

Yah I got that. If you look at Austinโ€™s full valid_if expression, he has a preceding IF( ISBLANK( [Department] ),... ). One corresponding expression possibility, to incorporate that into an expression like mine, without the subjectively unnecessary IF(), would have to include:

OR(
ISNOTBLANK( [Department] ) ,
[_THISROW].[Department = [Department]
)

Or we can take advantage of the odd equality resolution mentioned by Steve where

/blank value/ = โ€œanythingโ€

โ€ฆalways results to TRUE, by re-writing the above OR(), as simply

[Department] = [_THISROW].[Department]

Guys, the second formula I had in the original post works just fine, I was only asking why the first formula wasnโ€™t working since they looked logically the same to me .

Yah wellโ€ฆ Iโ€™m trying out to be a professional thread de-railer.

Top Labels in this Space