Search computedname

Hello

I have a question related to the search function. Iโ€™m using the computedname field to join first and last names. This computed name is displayed on a table.

For example, I have a First name = โ€œPaulโ€, Last name = โ€œJonesโ€. ComputedName = โ€œPaul Jonesโ€.

When I search for Paul, I find the record, when I search for โ€œJonesโ€ I also find the record. But if I search for โ€œPaul Jonesโ€ it does not find the record? Is this normal, the field is set to searchable.

Thanks
Paul!!

Solved Solved
1 14 278
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

It should show. I actually have the exact same setup with first name, last name and a virtual column. So first of all, when you are talking about the computedname field, are you meaning a virtual column? Can you provide a screenshot of the details for that column? Maybe there is something strange in there causing the issue.

I seem to have the same settings but using first name, middle name and last name. Yes it is a virtual column. Is it the space causing the problem in the search or does yours work?

In my example it works until you start typing the last name. So I have firstname = โ€œPaulโ€, Lastname = โ€œJonesโ€. Computedname = โ€œPaul Jonesโ€.

In the search bar, when I type Paul it finds Paul, when I type the space it still finds Paul but as soon as I type the J it finds nothing. If I type Paul Jones, it also finds nothing?

Please post a screenshot demonstrating the problem.

So I type Paul in the search and it filters as I would expect
3X_9_c_9c0f43064edab0976b30e515b24ed61b9986288d.png

But when I carry on typing โ€˜Paul Jโ€™ - there are no results?

See my comment above your last post

Your expression will be inserting two spaces if you exclude the middle nameโ€ฆ Try searching with two spaces. Paul Jones

Grant, thank you that looks like the issue. If I search with two spaces it finds the record. When I look at the record it doesnโ€™t look like it has 2 spaces?

Yeah, AppSheet tries to get smart with some of the spacesโ€ฆ There was another thread where this came up, the spacesโ€ฆ

Maybe appsheet should update their standard computed name expression

The computed name formula is -

CONCATENATE([FirstName]," โ€œ,[MiddleName],โ€ ",[LastName])

But there are cases with no middle name so I guess I get 2 spaces as per the formula. In the table view it doesnโ€™t look like there is an extra space?

Thanks Grant and Steve
I put the existing expression in TRIM as below and now itโ€™s working as Iโ€™d expect.

TRIM(CONCATENATE([FirstName]," โ€œ,[MiddleName],โ€ ",[LastName]))

Tramwork, makes the dream work!

Top Labels in this Space