Searching database by number

I have a App where each new entry is assigned a unique ID #. I have that column set as searchable but it won’t search by ID# from the App search. From what I’ve read you can only search by date or text. Is it possible to allow this?

1 13 387
13 REPLIES 13

I just enabled search for my UNIQUEID() assigned column and it seems to work for me. Make sure the Search property has been turned on for the field.

This is a Item actually not a user. I even changed the column name to Item # and within the app as well. The column is set for Searchable but it still will not allow a search for an Item #.

What is the column type?

Number

As you yourself noted:

So change the type from Number to Text.

I just removed the hashtag from the sheet and the app thinking that may have been confusing things but still it won’t search Item

In this particular application that is giving me errors because I have a formula to auto number each item on add. (MAX(Mushroom Tracker[Item]) + 1)

Perhaps I can’t search like I hoped to.

Another option would be to add a virtual column of type Text with an app formula of [Item #] or TEXT([Item #]).

I tried every variation I could think of using the virtual column and it still won’t allow a search of item #. Plus the auto generate of a new item # for a new entry doesn’t work.
(MAX(Mushroom Tracker[Item]) + 1)
Thanks for trying.

Hi @David_B Did you add an extra column or did you substitute the virtual one for your original column?

Do you mean add another column to my Google sheet? No I did not.
I tried substituting the virtual column for the actual column.
And I added TEXT([Item #]), (MAX(Mushroom Tracker[Item]) + 1)
The second half being the auto number for new entries.

So this doesn’t make sense to me. Making a Virtual Column and putting the following formula makes me think the formula is copying the data from my column [Item] to my Virtual column [Item #]

App Formula for column Item # (Text)
[Item]=[Item #]
(The value of column ‘Item’) is equal to (The value of column ‘Item #’)

And even though Item # is a labeled Text it still will not do a search for an Item #

I may have come up with a way to accomplish my goal with this problem
Is there a way to add text to a number column in my Google Sheet column.
I have the Item # auto generated using (MAX(Mushroom Tracker[Item]) + 1)
I’d like it to add the word Item in front of each number in my Google Sheet if that’s possible.
The field has to stay a number field in order for the auto generating formula to work.
If the word Item can be added in front of each number I think I could then search for Item 5, etc.
As it is I can search for 5 and it will bring up item 5, but it will also bring up any item that has a 5 in it.
IE. 9/25/2019 14:53:06
But, I need to be able to search for particular items by it’s item number.

Top Labels in this Space