Section_Header Show_If not applying on following columns

I have this simple form:

3X_5_9_5978484fcc014215e5ca3412b312fa695ffa6a42.png

The Show_If for column [Section_Header] is: [Show_Section_Header?]=TRUE

I can show and hide the [Section_Header], but this is not affecting the following column [Section_1].
I mean: [Section_1] is always showing up, no matter if [Show_Section_Header?] is TRUE or FALSE.
I’m pretty sure that this was the case in the past.
Just like it does when using a Page_Header.

Adding @Marc_Dillon @GreenFlux @Steve

1 16 428
16 REPLIES 16

Hello Fabian, im new on the forums so sorry if my suggestion is kinda obvious, but is the “Section_Header” column category set to “Section_Header” ? it’s supposed to detect automatically based on the name but checking can’t hurt.

My experience, or at least the memory of my experience, was that it never worked like that. I definitely have at least one app where I’ve repeated the same show_if expressions for multiple columns even though the first is a Section_Header.

My recollection–having not experimented with Section_Header in a loooong time–is the same: hiding the section header didn’t hide the section’s columns.

Thank you @Marc_Dillon and @Steve for confirming.
But honestly… wouldn’t this be the intention of Section_Header? I mean: What is Section_Header for? Just to have a centered bold text?

I would certainly think it should behave as you’re expecting.

Alright
@Steve will you contact AppSheet or should I?

Requests have more weight coming from outside, so have at it.

Sorry about that, Steve

OK I will contact support@appsheet.com

Here is the answer from @Adam

Hi Fabian, this is the expected behavior. It might make sense to make it work this way for consistency with page header, but it’s difficult to change the behavior now without breaking existing apps.

Sounds like we need a new sub-type of Show columns. Perhaps “Segment” header

Perhaps with an on-screen show/hide toggle…

@Adam what do you think about that?

I agree with your point but I get that changing it now could break existing apps.

A related issue: Using the page_header column, it seems that it hides trailing columns in a form but not in the detail view. In the detail view, only the page_header itself is hidden.

Is this how it is meant to be? I guess it doesn’t matter in many cases as there will be no data in the trailing columns if they are not showing in the form but if you think about a situation where different users should see different parts of a table, it could become an issue.

I guess I just have to put the show_if in for every column instead of once for the whole section/page.

Correct.

Yep.

FYI, columns of type Show were originally only for use in form views, and weren’t even available in other view types. They were retrofitted into other view types, hence the quirky behavior.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

Top Labels in this Space