Setting format rule for table not changing formatting in UX

phi
Bronze 4
Bronze 4

I am trying to create a format rule for a data table I have, and the column has both "FALSE' and "TRUE" in it. The datatype in AppSheets is "Yes/No". I am trying to format a row in my return UX so that if it is TRUE, then the row is highlighted. I've tried a few variations but nothing seems to work. My latest was: 

[Awards Show]=true

Here is what it looks like. The columns with '$$' in the upper right are the ones that should have a yellow highlight to them. 

Phis Phab Phive Radio Show - AppSheet - Google Chrome 2_6_2022 12_30_57 PM_LI.jpg

Solved Solved
0 6 486
  • UX
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

For a Yes/No column, all binary values are interchangeable - TRUE, true, y, yes  are all equal.  Same for FALSE, false, n, no.  So pick one style and stick with that.

In your Format Rule:

Did you set a column to be formatted in the "Format these columns and actions" section? 

There are two color options when formatting.  "Highlight"  and "Text". 

• Choosing a "Highlight" color will place an icon in front of the formatted column text with the color chosen.  The icon can also be chosen from the list BUT if no  icon is selected, AppSheet uses a default dot as the highlight.
  • Choosing "Text" color does just as is implied, the formatted columns' text is shown in the selected color.
  • You can choose both "Highlight" and "Text"

If you have applied the settings as described above then it should work.

View solution in original post

Here are my $0.02:

I use logic instead of words when it comes to Yes/No. For example, since 0=0 is true, I would use that instead of Yes, True, Y, etc.
Also, since you are trying to use a Yes/No column on your expression, with the column itself is enough. [Awards Show] is already a Yes/No so you don't need to add any other thing.

It seems like you are not doing what @WillowMobileSys said. You have to select wich columns you need to be formated on the Format these columns and actions section.

Your ID is terrible. I'm not blamming you, just change that. Sequential ID's are not a good idea, you should stick to the UNIQUEID() function

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/1023086-what-is-a-key
https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/2357317-uniqueid

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

For a Yes/No column, all binary values are interchangeable - TRUE, true, y, yes  are all equal.  Same for FALSE, false, n, no.  So pick one style and stick with that.

In your Format Rule:

Did you set a column to be formatted in the "Format these columns and actions" section? 

There are two color options when formatting.  "Highlight"  and "Text". 

• Choosing a "Highlight" color will place an icon in front of the formatted column text with the color chosen.  The icon can also be chosen from the list BUT if no  icon is selected, AppSheet uses a default dot as the highlight.
  • Choosing "Text" color does just as is implied, the formatted columns' text is shown in the selected color.
  • You can choose both "Highlight" and "Text"

If you have applied the settings as described above then it should work.

phi
Bronze 4
Bronze 4

Thank you so much for the reply! Yes, I would think that would work. Some strangeness, I am trying a different approach and just want to highlight the first row of shows. I have setup a format rule where my ID column (key) is = 1. That should be the first row. But when clicking Test Data, it gives me back ALL rows of my data. Why is that? I probably have something incorrectly setup just not sure what it could be.Phis Phab Phive Radio Show - AppSheet - Google Chrome 2_7_2022 6_58_48 AM.png

Phis Phab Phive Radio Show - AppSheet - Google Chrome 2_7_2022 7_03_50 AM.png

Here are my $0.02:

I use logic instead of words when it comes to Yes/No. For example, since 0=0 is true, I would use that instead of Yes, True, Y, etc.
Also, since you are trying to use a Yes/No column on your expression, with the column itself is enough. [Awards Show] is already a Yes/No so you don't need to add any other thing.

It seems like you are not doing what @WillowMobileSys said. You have to select wich columns you need to be formated on the Format these columns and actions section.

Your ID is terrible. I'm not blamming you, just change that. Sequential ID's are not a good idea, you should stick to the UNIQUEID() function

https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/1023086-what-is-a-key
https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/2357317-uniqueid

Thank you! That was the trick. I just put the ID column in trying to figure out how to get it to work, I won't be using that going forward. The trick was the format these columns and actions, I see that now. Thank you again!!

phi

@phi wrote:

The trick was the format these columns and actions, I see that now

You should mark @WillowMobileSys's answer as the solution in that case!

Done.

Top Labels in this Space