Sharing a sheet between two apps

To keep my app less complex, I have split it into two simpler apps that share the same Google sheet.  One app adds new records (rows) to the sheet, the other app uses those rows to do stuff and changes data in specified fields (columns).  But the apps appear to be using different copies of the same sheet.  How do I force them to use the same copy?

Solved Solved
0 8 546
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Turns out it was a quirk of Google Sheets.  Every time I opened the sheet, Google created a dated backup copy with the same name.  So I went into Google Drive and either deleted or renamed all the older copies.   Then when, in AppSheet, I checked the source path, the 'bad' app was linked to the wrong copy of the sheet.  Prior to that it wasn't obvious what the problem was as it always seemed to be connected to the right sheet, since they all had the same name.  Then it was a simple job (as per your instructions) to link it to the correct sheet.  Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

@Revett wrote:

But the apps appear to be using different copies of the same sheet.  How do I force them to use the same copy?

You'll need to update the datasource in the app using the wrong one.  It's simple.  Repeat the below steps for each table in the app using the wrong datasource.  NOTE: Once you have selected the sheet workbook for the first table you update, it will be in the Source list for the rest of tables - so need to browse for the sheet on every table update.

Select table in Editor then tap the indicated button to open Table settings

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 2.16.05 PM.png

Browse and select the correct sheet (if not already listed)

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 2.17.00 PM.png

Confirm correct sheet by it Google DocID

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 2.21.13 PM.png

Select the sheet for the table in the sheet tabs list

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 2.18.50 PM.png

That worked right until the "Verify correct sheet..."  The Docid for the incorrect app is different from the Docid for the correct app, but when I go to Worksheet Name/Qualifier in the incorrect app it just steers me back to the wrong sheet.  

Are the sheets same name maybe?  I don't know what happens if you try to load 2 different DocID's that have been named the same.  If they are the same, change the wrong one to something else and try again.

Yes, the sheets have the same name.  The 'bad' app keeps using an older version.  But I can't figure out how to connect it to the newer version.  I suspect there is some kind of caching going on here but I have no idea how to force a link to the newer copy used by the 'good' app.

The 'bad' app is quite small.  I may just regenerate it -- may be faster than trying to figure out the proper way!

Thanks for your suggestions.

If you think it's a caching issue, clear the browser cache.  Then retry.

Nope!  Didn't work.

@Revett wrote:

but when I go to Worksheet Name/Qualifier in the incorrect app it just steers me back to the wrong sheet

Going back to this statement...did you physically go through the "browse for more data" to select the correct sheet copy?  You only need to do it once, but you MUST do it at least once to make it available to the app.  If you did, you will see 2 sources with the same name.  See images below. 

Then it's just a matter of selecting the correct one from the list

Source List before adding copied sheet named List Tester

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 5.09.36 PM.png

Source List AFTER adding copied sheet named List Tester - note 2 files of the same name

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 5.10.26 PM.png

Turns out it was a quirk of Google Sheets.  Every time I opened the sheet, Google created a dated backup copy with the same name.  So I went into Google Drive and either deleted or renamed all the older copies.   Then when, in AppSheet, I checked the source path, the 'bad' app was linked to the wrong copy of the sheet.  Prior to that it wasn't obvious what the problem was as it always seemed to be connected to the right sheet, since they all had the same name.  Then it was a simple job (as per your instructions) to link it to the correct sheet.  Thanks for your help.

Top Labels in this Space