Show column URL

I have a form that has a virtual Show column with a URL that concatenates the YouTube search URL along with a title field from that row and โ€œmovie clipsโ€ . This result in the user being able to clip on the URL and it goes out to You Tube and show clips from that movie. It works beautifully in a form that I built, but when I use a detailed view, the search just launches YouTube and not with the CONCATENATE search criteria. Any ideas?

0 7 305
  • UX
7 REPLIES 7

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

What youโ€™re trying to do should work (though Iโ€™ve not tried what youโ€™re doing specifically).

Is Include Show columns in detail views set to ON?

If so, please provide screenshots of:

• The expression used to construct the YouTube URL.
  • The configuration screen of the Show column.
  • The configuration screen of the detail view.

Try wrapping your LOOKUP() expression with ENCODEURL().

Tried the encodeURL. No luck. I can see in YouTube that it is leaving out the info from the lookupโ€ฆbut itโ€™s strange that this would just happen in detail view versus form view. Hereโ€™s what gets pasted into youtube as url: โ€œhttps://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+movie+clipsโ€

Iโ€™m not sure what else to ask you to look at for this. Probably best you engage support@appsheet.com directly so someone can look at your app directly.

Thanks for tryingโ€ฆ

Hi @Steve! I just found this today. I wanted to use a Show-type column to display an image in a detail view but was having trouble. I prefer the Show-type column in this case because the image is properly centered. However, I couldnโ€™t figure out why it would sometimes show up temporarily on my screen and then disappear in the editing process. Changing the UX option solved my problem.

Some thoughts:

1. Since AppSheet is supposed to be as easy and intuitive as possible, it would be nice if the editor were smart enough to say โ€œYou are attempting to use a Show column in a detail view. Please turn on . . .โ€

2. I have been using section header show columns in detail views for a long time now, without turning one the detail view option, but without incident.

3. Once again, the community (@Steve and a few others in particular) is great, AppSheet documentation, often very far it. In this case, what I was able to read about show columns in documentation didnโ€™t help much and was quite frustrating.

I appreciate what you do!

Addendum: My appreciation stands but what I wrote about using show column to display an image in detail view doesnโ€™t. It worked temporarily but isnโ€™t reliable.

Top Labels in this Space