Show column

Hi everybodyโ€ฆ
Can I insert image in show column?
Thank you in advance.

0 19 365
19 REPLIES 19

Yes you can do that. You need to choose the image from category option under the columnโ€™s definition.

Thank you Aleksi, you and other community team and all members always provide support and assistance to find quick and effective solutions.

Yes.

In this case, I have an image on my server and I show it using the URL. I put the URL in the โ€œApp formulaโ€ spot and in โ€œContentโ€ but I probably didnโ€™t need to put it in both. I works, though.

@Aleksi, do I need to put the URL in both spots?

Content is enough, appformula is not needed. You donโ€™t need to use CONCATENATE either, just the URL inside of โ€œโ€.

Thanks! The reason I used concatenate is that the URL is completed with RANDBETWEEN(1,10) to choose one of 10 images.

Gotcha

So, I havenโ€™t played with images a lot. When is it better to use a Show/Image column rather than just an Image column?

Iโ€™m trying to remember why I did it this way. My memory is rather fuzzy now but I think I preferred the placement of the image on the screen (one was a little lower on the screen than the other, I think).

I would say that Show type is used when you donโ€™t request user to fill any image and itโ€™s more like an informal image.

Ah, ok, That makes sense and is a good rule of thumb.

Another place where you can use itโ€ฆ as you know the image is not shown with itโ€™s full width on the detail view. But if you show the image from image column using a formula with the Show content, you can show the image with itโ€™s full width.

Hi @Aleksi, I found that a show type virtual column will require AppFormula whiles show type column will accept without AppFormula (content only). is this intended behaviour?

Here is my snapshot where I tried to insert kind of divider thing:

1. with normal column
  2. with virtual column

When a formula is required like this (but we donโ€™t really have any formula that we want to use) I think typing โ€œTRUEโ€ would work.

P.S. Virtual columns always seem to need an expression of some sort.

All virtual columns require an app formula, regardless of column type.

The textual content for a column of type Show will be taken from the first of the following that is not blank (if I recall correctly):

1. The Content expression.
  2. The App formula expression or the column value if not a virtual column.
  3. The column name (which will never be blank).

The Content expression is updated continuously while displayed, similar to how expression-generated column values update in form views. On the other hand, the App formula expression is only updated during a sync, or continuously if in a form view. So, use Content if you want to display dynamic text. Myself, I use virtual columns, set the App formula to "", and always use Content

Thanks Steve, I understand know, the hint is this:

@Aleksi @Steveโ€ฆ
I put the URL of image that save in My google drive in the content of โ€œshowโ€ type definition, but the image didnโ€™t appear in my form.

the form

Thank you in advanceโ€ฆ

Thank you Krik, It is very detailed explanation. I am very lucky to join this amazing community. Thanks again.

Please check the correct format from this articleโ€ฆ

Top Labels in this Space