Signing Assets In and Out

Hi all,

Brand new to Appsheet, only started yesterday 😃

I am creating an app for my business that tracks when an asset (for example a device) is allocated to a person.
eg. [Tom] is given [Device 1]

What I’m trying to do is stop another person from being allocated the same asset.

I have seen a lot of people say a Slice is the way to do what I want, but I can’t see how to make the slice provide the list of devices that is available to select from when allocating another to someone else.

Currently, I have:

Device 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on, that can be allocated to any of a list of people. I have created a slice that shows the data filtered the way I’d like, but I can’t see how to make that slice quick editable in the UX.

I’m sorry if this doesn’t make sense, I know what I want but not how to achieve it.

0 7 168
7 REPLIES 7

Do you have a table schema to share? We need that to understand your app and came up with a solution.
BTW, Slice is not the only option, Suggested Values as buttons or Valid If can help

Thanks for getting back to me 😃

I’ll give the best overview I can, this is a draft project that I plan to tidy up into something neat once I understand all the processes.

This is an image of the table (it links to another that holds the raw device data), but perhaps an image of the app might be more helpful? Here

When you select a device from the list, it automatically updates the file to say it’s allocated to a person.

The problem is, you can then allocate the same device to somebody else.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge, I’m used to scraping together info for what I need from searches, but am a little stuck here.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I tried Valid If, but it canceled out the entire dataset, instead of that specific row.

@Qiro Are you trying to allocate asset from a drop-down list. If so, you can make use of suggested values and in that you can provide a filtered list with only unassigned assets. Also valid if can be made of use of with something like NOT(IN(

Thanks for your suggestions.

I am allocating assets from a drop-down list, this is pulled in the UX from a virtual column that gets data from another sheet.

I have been looking at the help section to try and understand how to use suggested values, but it simply doesn’t explain enough for me to make sense of it.

It suggests that I need a dynamic expression, but I’m not sure how I would tell it whether or not an asset is signed out. Currently, I have a list that is generated in Google Sheets that essentially lists all the remaining available devices (with those already signed out removed).

All I would like to do is pull that list of ‘Available Devices’ from Google Sheets and make it a drop-down for the user to select from, but I don’t seem to be able to do that either.

Yours is a list subtraction problem:

• Get a list of all assets
  • Get a list of signed-out assets.
  • Remove the signed-out assets from all assets.
  • Leaving only assets that are not signed-out.

See also:

I have managed to attack the problem from a different direction, assigning a tag, for now, that means an asset can’t be signed out twice, but still appears in the list. My next step is to use subtraction to remove them entirely until signed back in.

Thank you!

Top Labels in this Space