Slice Row Filtering

Hi Forum,

I am an APSHEET novice muddeling my way from one ROAD BLOCK to the next - but enjoying the journey. Here is my current obstacle,
I have a sample APP with two tables :
MEMBERS   (30,000 Rows - Table view)
BOXES   (60 Rows)
The only connection between the tables is that each MEMBER row is tagged with at Box_Id.
Here is my goal: 
On selecting a MEMBER and opening the MEMBERS VIEW  -  from this action I also want to filter a BOX SLICE to the related Box Id.
I need help with the construction of the Slice ROW FILTER CONDITION to achieve my goal.
Any help will br gratefully acknowledged.
Dick Troy

Solved Solved
0 14 478
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Willow,

Thanks for your response
Here is my quest (rightly or wrongly).  
I am able to search for a unique Member of 30,000 - starting from the view bar at the bottom (perfect).
 Once I have found the unique member in DETAIL VIEW I want to be able to inspect the related BOX view for that member from a  second  bottom at the bottom - say Box View. -  and ONLY that related Box.
I reasoned that If I could filter a Box Slice to the selected Member's Box Id  - mission accomplished.
Learning APPSHEET is a slow process for an old man !!

Dick Troy

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

@rjtroy wrote:

On selecting a MEMBER and opening the MEMBERS VIEW  -  from this action I also want to filter a BOX SLICE to the related Box Id.

Not really sure what this means. Are you sure a Slice is the way to go here? Can you give a bigger picture description of what you're trying to do? Have you setup and/or learned about "references between tables" (search for that if not)?

Hi Marc

Thanks for your response
I am able to search for a unique Member of 30,000 - starting from the view bar at the bottom (perfect).
 Once I have found the unique member in DETAIL VIEW I want to be able to inspect the related BOX view for that member from a  second  bottom at the bottom - say Box View. -  and ONLY that related Box.
I reasoned that If I could filter a Box Slice to the selected Member's Box Id  - mission accomplished.

Dick Troy

Hi Marc,
This is also my first attempt at asking a question of the community - sorry for my problems.
The simple way is for me to send you the link to my APPSHEET to show you where I am stuck.
I will now try this.
https://www.appsheet.com/Template/AppDef?appName=DLR_MEMBERS_6-2059583&appId=c2971d84-3d0c-413d-92b1...
Please guide me so that you also can open my APP - then I will describe my goal.

By the way - I married a girl named ANNE DILLON in 1963 and we are still happily together in Dublin, Ireland,  after almost 60 years ?????,   Great 'stayers' these Dillons.

I don't understand.  If you are setting Box_ID as a column on the Member table that implies that you have a single BOXES row associated to each Member (and each BOXES rows has several Members associated to it).

There is no need to set a Slice to filter to the single BOXES row that you already have a reference to on the Member row. 

What are we missing?  Please describe what you are trying to actually accomplish in the app.

Hi Willow,

Thanks for your response

Dick Troy

Maybe an example might help decide what you'd like to do>

I have create a small app with a Members and a Boxes table.  The Member table has a Box column that references a row in the Boxes table.  They look like this with just some random columns thrown in.

Members Table

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 5.57.59 PM.png

Note the [Box] column defined as type Ref and holds a reference to the Boxes table  (I'll explain Box 3 in a minute)

Boxes Table

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 5.58.21 PM.png

The [Related Members] column is automatically created because I set [Box] as Ref in the Members table

Members - Selecting a row to view

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 5.53.26 PM.png

Viewing John Baer member - Note the Box field has an arrow icon (because its a Ref column) - Tapping it goes to Box detail view.

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 5.53.37 PM.png

Box Detail View

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 5.54.35 PM.png

An Alternative Approach...

The [Box 3] column was added to show this alternative way of viewing the Box information.  instead of having to tap on a second button to get to the Box Details,  if you use a Virtual Column as shown as Box 3 you can show the Box info on the Members view as an Inline table like this:

Member view with Box Inline table

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 5.55.06 PM.png

I hope this helps!

Willow,
Thank you for your help. You have shed new light on my problem. Now working as I requested.
Can I be so bold as to ask if I can refer to you again with my other  "schoolboy" queries ?
You could relieve my roadblocks with a wave of your hand.
Thanks again.

Dick

Sure!  Just tag me in any posts, @WillowMobileSys, and I will respond whenever I can.

Willow,
I am afraid I am still in trouble.  Here is my APP

https://www.appsheet.com/Template/AppDef?appName=DLR_MEMBERS_6-2059583&appId=c2971d84-3d0c-413d-92b1...

Note the following:
- Members (30,000 Rows)are tagged with their respective Box ID (48 Rows).  The reverse tagging Boxes Id/ Member Id is obviously not practicle.
What I am seeking is to be able to view the related BOX ROW for the  Row selected  in the selected MEMBER_DETAIL  view. 
This is why I was exploring the idea of filtering the related Box Row based on the BOX ID of the Box_Id of the selected MEMBER row

Thank you for your help

I tried looking at your app but it wasn't found with the link given.

You can try with an action.

Go to Behaviour, for the table members make a new action, set it as "go to another view in this app" and in the formula SEARCH: LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW("boxidtable", [member id] = [box id]) 

Have you tried to make both table referenced. I mean in the form of members the box-id is ref type, create also a real or virtual column in boxes and make it referenced to the members.. 

Thank you, Ceke,
I will try that

Dick Troy

@rjtroy wrote:

we are still happily together in Dublin, Ireland,  after almost 60 years ??

Congrats!  That is awesome!!

Top Labels in this Space