Sort by birthday but only month and date

I have a list and I wanna sort by bithday, however, the system type โ€œdateโ€ will sort by the year. can i just show the month and date only? I wanna sort by month then i can check my list, my friends, by their month.

ex. sort by date
Emily 1992/5/5
Amy 1993/1/5

Amy is in JAN, Emily in MAY, but the list will list by the year they born.

1 3 268
  • UX
3 REPLIES 3

This requires including additional fields, one for each separate piece of data you want to record - even when that data is a duplicate.

For instance, Iโ€™ll typically have the following fields for any sort of data-capture tables:

• [DateTime] - of when the event happened
  • [Date] - to allow for easy grouping by date
  • [Time] - to allow for smaller view of the time (that way I donโ€™t have to view the DateTime, when itโ€™s grouped under a date)

Even though the 2nd and 3rd columns are duplicates of whatโ€™s stored in the first, itโ€™s helpful to have them separated out like this.

Sorry, I am a beginner, I couldnโ€™t understand, how can i solve the problem?

No worries.

What Iโ€™m trying to say is, if you need to see something grouped by a specific piece of data (say the date, or the month of that date)โ€ฆ

• then you need to store that separately (in itโ€™s own column, with itโ€™s own App Formula to derive the value)

So in your example, you want to be able to group by monthโ€ฆ so include a Month column with a formula like the following:

INDEX(
  {
    "January", "February", "March",
    "April", "May", "June",
    "July", "August", "September",
    "October", "November", "December"
  },
  MONTH([DateTime])
)

Source

Then you can group by that column instead.

Top Labels in this Space