Store content for offline use

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Store-Content-for-offline-use/m-p/236534

I found this post about a subject I'm trying to understand and I have some questions!

I need to show images even when offline.
In the link question , Tony says " all of the images and files will be downloaded when the app first syncs"  this means if the user close the app the images won't load??
And what kinds of data is considered "filtered out by security filters"??
I have a virtual collumn of type show with images containing a link from Postimage, my objective is to show it like a thumbnail.
If there's another way to do it, I'm open to suggestions also available to questions! 

Solved Solved
0 3 109
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Once the content is downloaded AND you keep the "Store content for offline use" setting turned on, Appsheet will keep the downloaded content updated while you have Internet connectivity.  If you should lose connection, the app will continue to function using the downloaded content.

If you want the ability to also open/start the app if there is no Internet connectivity, then you will want to additionally turn on "The app can start when offline" setting. 

And yes, the content will still be available after closing and re-opening the app - current up to the last successful Sync. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

In order for content to be available in Offline mode, the setting named "Store content for offline use" must be turned on.  Once turned on, EACH user must perform a Sync while connected to the Internet so that all pertinent content can be downloaded onto that device.  After that, should connectivity be lost or turned off, the user would still be able to operate the app AND see any images or documents added to the app up to when that last Sync was performed.  

Security Filters - is a feature that AppSheet provides on each table in the app.  An expression is applied to allow only the data that matches the criteria of the Security Filter to be brought down to that device or more specifically that device user.  For instance, a Timesheet app might have a Security Filter to download only those timesheet entries for that employee - they should not see timesheet entries for other employees.  Those other employee's timesheet rows would be considered "filtered out" by the Security Filter. - i.e. not downloaded to the device.

As for showing images as thumbnails, there are many ways to show images in different sizes.  What would work best will depend on what view design you wish to achieve.  Do you have an example view you need help with?

Thanks @WillowMobileSys, for the explanations!
My doubt now is if the sync is valid if the user closes the app.
After closing the app the images downloaded would still show the next time o open it? Or for that another sync should be done?

About the view, I already found a way to show the thumbnails, thanks!

Once the content is downloaded AND you keep the "Store content for offline use" setting turned on, Appsheet will keep the downloaded content updated while you have Internet connectivity.  If you should lose connection, the app will continue to function using the downloaded content.

If you want the ability to also open/start the app if there is no Internet connectivity, then you will want to additionally turn on "The app can start when offline" setting. 

And yes, the content will still be available after closing and re-opening the app - current up to the last successful Sync. 

Top Labels in this Space