Suggested values in text type column with different conditions

Hey guys,

i need your help. I tried a lot, but I couldnโ€™t figure it out.

the problem i am trying to solve:
I want to get an auto computed list of suggested values for the column called โ€˜Nr.โ€™.
as you can see, the column โ€˜Nr.โ€™ is not a number type, because sometimes I need to add an a, b, c or d at the end of a value in this column, that is why i chose text type for it.

so for example:
if you have a look at the preview listing on the Screenshot I attached, you will see the last rows I added are at the top rows (sorted descanding). if I add a new row and fill in the value for โ€˜Nr.โ€™ in the form, I want the auto compute to list me 3 (sometimes 2) suggestions:

1. suggestion value: 51

• because the highest value so far was 50a and 50b

2. suggestion value: 51a

• it might be, that I need 51a instead of 51, because there is one row going to follow that belongs to this one, so 51b
    (if an โ€˜โ€ฆaโ€™ is used, a row with โ€˜โ€ฆbโ€™ with follow, in every case. otherwise I would not use โ€˜aโ€™)

3. suggestion value: 50c

• because the last row is 50b, it is possible, that this new row is the continuation of 50b.
  • if the last row does not contain an a, b, c or d than this 3. suggestion is not necessary.

4. allow other values:

• a possibility to type in a random value manually

I wasted a lot of time with trying to find a solution by combining various formulas, reading many of your documentations and community contributions. I hope someone here can help me. ff something is not clear enough, please let me know.

Maybe this information will help you any wayโ€ฆ
Unfortunately i have deleted all formula attempts I made already, but they looked something like that, as far as i can remember (obviously i now know that e.g. MAXROW is not possible because the column type is text, but maybe it helps you to understand my purpose better):

LIST(
(MAXROW( โ€œBestellungenโ€ , โ€Nr.โ€ )),
(CONCATENATE( {1. suggestion} ) , โ€aโ€ )),
(IFS( ({if last row column โ€˜Nr.โ€™ contains an โ€˜aโ€™}) , ({than take this value an substitute the โ€˜aโ€™ with a โ€˜bโ€™}) , ({if last row column โ€˜Nr.โ€™ contains an โ€˜bโ€™}) , ({than take this value an substitute the โ€˜bโ€™ with a โ€˜cโ€™}) , ({if last row column โ€˜Nr.โ€™ contains an โ€˜cโ€™}) , ({than take this value an substitute the โ€˜cโ€™ with a โ€˜dโ€™}) , ({if last row column โ€˜Nr.โ€™ contains no letters}) , (than BLANK ) ))
)

thanks!

0 10 1,683
10 REPLIES 10

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Iโ€™m going to say thereโ€™s no good way to do what you want.

What would you say, if i change the column typ?
instead of e.g. 50a i would i could use 50.1
or instead of 50b i use 50.2
so replace the letters with a dot and digits.

Or could you think of another way to get in done if i do certain changes to the value or column structure?

This would definitely be easier to handle, but your apparent interest in allowing the user to enter arbitrary values (that presumably donโ€™t confirm to your convention) greatly complicates everything.

What is the reason for this numbering scheme? Knowing your goal may help us provide better suggestions.

This app is a project for highschool. for example if theire is an incoming order for a product, i add a row with data like customer name, order date, product amount, product details and so on.
if a customer orders two products, than i add a second row with the same values except from product, productprice and cargo price.
the โ€˜Nr.โ€™ at the beginning should make clear, that these two rows are related to each other. basically โ€˜Nr.โ€™ just shows, that these two rows belong to one order.

or if a few weeks after the order, the customer decides to send the product back, than again another row will be added, with the same โ€˜Nr.โ€™ as the primal order but the โ€˜a,b or cโ€™ added, so that also here the relation to another row is clear.

I canโ€™t say Iโ€™m comfortable providing any further assistance.

alright, thanks anyway

Hi @hhulas23 Have you had a look at the โ€œOrder Captureโ€ sample app. It may be useful.

no not yet, i will. thanks

Is this your key column you are dealing with?

yes, the column called โ€˜Nr.โ€™ is my key column

Top Labels in this Space